electronic lead screw

I submitted a change to him that allows different feed and threading calculations. My PM1127 has the same issue. Note that the feed for the cross slide is different, but I decided having relative control was good enough. I rarely care exactly what the feed rate is, only that I can adjust it consistently. Particularly on the cross slide. So I make it correct for the carriage, and live with it being off for that one.

It looks like he hasn't merged my pull request into the main repository. No big deal, here's my version with that change. If you need help adjusting it for your setup, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

https://github.com/travistabbal/electronic-leadscrew/tree/travis/master

Thanks very much, Travis!
I only have time right now to glance at it, but I will look over your changes carefully later today. I think you may have saved my bacon!
Btw, the PM1127 was very close to being in my shopping cart when I came across this 12x36.

There's a nice ELS from Germany that they call an Electronic Lead Screw - Stefan Gotteseinter did a review of it on his youtube channel. They will have a complete English manual available early this year. It leaves manual operation untouched and is DIY for the home machinist.
Hallo Dabbler. I am totally off topic,but it's nice to see your icon again, I haven't seen it in a long time, or am I wrong?

I submitted a change to him that allows different feed and threading calculations. My PM1127 has the same issue. Note that the feed for the cross slide is different, but I decided having relative control was good enough. I rarely care exactly what the feed rate is, only that I can adjust it consistently. Particularly on the cross slide. So I make it correct for the carriage, and live with it being off for that one.

It looks like he hasn't merged my pull request into the main repository. No big deal, here's my version with that change. If you need help adjusting it for your setup, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

https://github.com/travistabbal/electronic-leadscrew/tree/travis/master

Travis, I have applied a version of your changes, which compiled after a couple of false starts. There's a new problem I think you may be able to help with - I can't get the build to flash. There is a connection error, Connection to XDS110 failed, Error 260 @ 0_0
After scouring the support documentation, it seems maybe I need to update the firmware or update the board serial number. This is done through a utility within CCS called xdsdfu. However, I can't get that to run.
Any ideas?

Okay, never mind the above, but stay tuned for the new problem!
I eventually managed to uninstall Code Composer, and re-download and install it (after several failed attempts). When I flashed the build, I got a dialog box with the option to update XDS110 firmware. I did so at last.

This all took about six hours of downloading, rebooting, installing, etc. but seemed to do the trick. The build was flashed to the Launchpad, or at least I think it was. The Debug console seemed to look about like the examples in the video, but I don't know much about what I'm looking at or looking for.

The code ran, stopped at the breakpoint as expected, I hit Resume... and nothing. The display panel stays dormant, although when I click on some of the buttons a tiny LED to the left of the digits lights up briefly. But only occasionally, most of the time it seems dead. Turning the encoder shaft does not produce any reaction.

I have no idea whether the display board is really dead, or if the program is not running. Or both.
Frankly, I'm just heartsick about this thing. I've spent so many hours (and way more money than I should be throwing around) to deal with a steady stream of setbacks. And now it's looking like a dead end.

How should I go about troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for your advice.

I have coming, due any day, Rocketronics ELS 4 Basic with conversion pack, Servo L. This goes on a PM 1127 VF-LB lathe. Lead screw motor is Hybrid-Schrittmotor ES-M23480 MIT Encoder. X-axis is, Hybrid Stepper Motor 60BYGH450D-02. Encoder, PIB408-400Z.
X-axis motor mounting off back of carriage. Using a 1:1 ratio on encoder. Using the lathes spindle gear to a Acetal gear I need to make.
I got so darn mad at the change gear set up on this lathe for the last time about a month ago I said never again. So that evening was spent doing a lot of looking at different ELS sytems and over a months time I went with a really well thought out sytem by Rocketronics In Germany. Deivery thru customs, ports and what ever else has taken 1 month so far. Might get it within the next week or 2 as DHL has not handed it over to USPS for delivery. This has been a fun project to-date.

I have coming, due any day, Rocketronics ELS 4 Basic with conversion pack, Servo L. This goes on a PM 1127 VF-LB lathe. Lead screw motor is Hybrid-Schrittmotor ES-M23480 MIT Encoder. X-axis is, Hybrid Stepper Motor 60BYGH450D-02. Encoder, PIB408-400Z.
X-axis motor mounting off back of carriage. Using a 1:1 ratio on encoder. Using the lathes spindle gear to a Acetal gear I need to make.
I got so darn mad at the change gear set up on this lathe for the last time about a month ago I said never again. So that evening was spent doing a lot of looking at different ELS sytems and over a months time I went with a really well thought out sytem by Rocketronics In Germany. Deivery thru customs, ports and what ever else has taken 1 month so far. Might get it within the next week or 2 as DHL has not handed it over to USPS for delivery. This has been a fun project to-date.

please report on this when you get it, that ELS looks very nice!

I eventually managed to uninstall Code Composer, and re-download and install it (after several failed attempts). When I flashed the build, I got a dialog box with the option to update XDS110 firmware. I did so at last.

This all took about six hours of downloading, rebooting, installing, etc. but seemed to do the trick. The build was flashed to the Launchpad, or at least I think it was. The Debug console seemed to look about like the examples in the video, but I don't know much about what I'm looking at or looking for.

The code ran, stopped at the breakpoint as expected, I hit Resume... and nothing. The display panel stays dormant, although when I click on some of the buttons a tiny LED to the left of the digits lights up briefly. But only occasionally, most of the time it seems dead. Turning the encoder shaft does not produce any reaction.

I have no idea whether the display board is really dead, or if the program is not running. Or both.
Frankly, I'm just heartsick about this thing. I've spent so many hours (and way more money than I should be throwing around) to deal with a steady stream of setbacks. And now it's looking like a dead end.

I recommend starting from Square 1. You've reinstalled Code Composer, good. Next, download Clough42's version that you know works, and don't mess with it. Build it, flash it to the board, and see if you at least get the display working again. If you have any problems, go back and carefully follow his video, which steps through the entire build process. Once it's back up and running, then you can go in and change the constants to match your setup. Save off a copy of that.

ONLY THEN should you consider making additional changes. It's unlikely you broke anything permanently (assuming that you aren't leaving something out of the story!).

Last edited:

This is always an annoying situation. There are so many components that it is difficult to diagnose the cause of the failure. When I bought my display board, I bought an extra. Fortunately, both worked. Is it possible for you to connect it to an Arduino? This would parse out the display from the rest of the system. It is possible that there is a problem with one of the other boards. ESD would be a likely culprit. Also double check that the switches are all set correctly and that wiring is correct.

I doubt that the encoder or the stepper controller outputs are at fault. The problem would either be the display itself or the Launchpad from a hardware standpoint or from the Code composer or firmware. Perhaps contacting Clough is in order. He may have some suggestions.

Back