Elevated mill

dpb

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’d like to lift my knee mill by 3-4”. Is there any problem doing this with two pieces of square tubing, one in front, left to right, one in back? Wall thickness recommendations? Mill weighs ~2250 lbs, floor is concrete.

No problem at all. I used 2x3 120 wall tube on mine since I had that laying around along with leveling feet to gain the height I wanted and keep the mill from rocking

Jack it up & level it then build a wooden form around it and fill with grout

4"x8"x16" concrete blocks work. Set the blocks on a bed of mortar and level them. It makes stable base. To remove them at a later time, a mason's brick set will pop them off for fairly easy clean up.

Mine mills set on heavy duty plastic pallets, with a 1/2” thick steel plate between the mill and pallet, bolted together. It raises the mill about 5-6” and they are moveable with a pallet jack..

mine is on a thick steel plate and legs that way I can move it with a pallet jack easily

For me the plastic pallet was a temporary stop gap measure until, I could work out the other details, it’s worked so good, I decided to leave it that way. As they say “nothing is as permanent, as something that is temporary”, originally said about income taxes, I believe, which was suppose to be originally temporary, but has never seem to have gone away.

I have the leveling feet on the mill and when I wanted to raise it I put a Ø4.00" x 3" thick aluminum puck under each foot. I did put a .060 deep pocket for the leveling foot on the top of each puck to be absolutely certain that it could not try to walk off. Has been working great for the last 20 years. All of the leveling feet are still dead center in the pockets so it never did try to move. My mill is ~3400 lbs.

I've had my ~2800 lb mill bolted to 4X4 treated wood post for about 6 months now. Surprisingly there are no signs that the mill has sunk into the wood. I'm sure it did at least a little, but it's not enough that you can see it.

Back