Elliot 10m shaper restoration

MELDONMECH

Registered
Registered
This machine started life in a secondary school some where in North London, and I bought it in 1983 from a Second Hand Machinery Dealer. It has been used on many projects until I moved house, and it has been stuck in the garage for 5yrs gathering dust. I recently saw a project build where a shaper was used on the build, and that got me going. I got my son to give me a hand and we rolled it into the workshop. It looked quite tatty, coverd in thick grease and dust, heavily chipped and faded and oil impregnated paint work, so decided to restore it. The project is proceeding in units, the ram is nearly ready for its final coat of paint. Other parts have been filled, some undercoated and some not started. see pics.

Work continues between casting and machining projects Cheers David

David march 2013 172.jpg David march 2013 173.jpg David march 2013 174.jpg

You are just going to love it. I just got a super suck award yesterday by an owner of a big time machine
shop more like machine plant, a space gov contract shop 20 employees. I never been to his cause its
all computor run way over my head and he never been to my shop, but popped in Sat. he gives me
end mills and stuff usually at coffee shop. Anyways he's got the poker face checking our machines.
So I show my covered up baby shaper. I already know its a generation gap. course shapers were all
gone when this guy was in grammer school. I say, you never saw a shaper, nope! I can not beleive
a machinist pro doesnt know his history?? OK watch this, I threw a piece of rust junk in there and
he got hipmotized and then as magic a piece of junk turns into a mirror. He said this some kind of trick or
something. Then I show some gears internals we machine with this shaper (im thinking of all his million
dollar machines) Now for the gotcha; I say what machine you have will do this with a doller HSS tool???
So I said Bobby dont underestimate old men and there old machines. Then I saved the best for the
last, Bob check this GK made in 1918 no taper attachment no computor no servos just gears and
flat belts and 1918 brains here ya go all hand wheels turning, chucks a spinnin taper starts to form.
He's scrathing his head now totally blown away. No I have never seen anything like this; wait till I
tell my guys. So I been smilling while sleeping last night the highest level being the you suck award
especially comming from a big time machine co. owner. So restore that shaper. Please check out my
many shaper attachments I have made, they are somewhere in this good site Samuel

I've got one of these, they are a great little machine. A future project is to make an attachment so I can cut keyways.

this is the day i got mine, its all hooked up now with a 5hp motor, lubed, and the traversing worm gearset replaced. New belts, fully adjusted and flip the switch functional. missing elevator drive replaced with hydraulic lift. The ram stops for nothing. It either gets remodeled or blown to pieces. i recently blew a 3/4 x 1 1/4 REX tool stock clean in half, and the machine didn't care one bit

Back