Ellis 1100 Bandsaw Restoration And Modifications

Beautiful job on the saw and the upgrades Randy. You do good work me amigo. Cheers, Mike

Randy
You did a great job on the rebuild, it turned out great.
You added several improvements, new chip tray handle, bushing for transport handle, painted the pointer red, added a bumper for the cutting head, electrical outlet, a long handle for the table pivot clamp.
Are the slide plates, for the blade tension adjustment made of brass ?
Did you replace the rubber tires on the band saw blade wheels ?
Any upgrades I missed ?

Hal

I love that Heinrich style vise. Never seen one on a saw. I am a big fan of Ellis products. As usual, great work.

Randy
These "cam lock" vices offered by Ellis are the weak link to this otherwise nice saw. I purchased an extra cam lock vise when I bought my 1800 new to secure both ends as I do a lot of gang/stacked cutting. They work great for straight cutting but slip when cutting 45 degree (single piece) angles resulting in blade tooth breakage. I have taken them apart for cleaning, lubing, and adjusting only to have them let me down time and time again when cutting the next angle. I learned to use a C-clamp to prevent the material from being sucked/pulled in to prevent the issue but all that went away when I broke down and purchased the screw type vise they now offer.
http://www.ellissaw.com/accessories/#bandsaw-vises.

Randy, you did a beautiful restoration. I like the finished colors you used, the saw looks better than new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy
You did a great job on the rebuild, it turned out great.
You added several improvements, new chip tray handle, bushing for transport handle, painted the pointer red, added a bumper for the cutting head, electrical outlet, a long handle for the table pivot clamp.
Are the slide plates, for the blade tension adjustment made of brass ?
Did you replace the rubber tires on the band saw blade wheels ?
Any upgrades I missed ?

Hal

Hal,
You are correct, the slide plates were up-graded to brass. The blade wheels were replaced entirely. The rubber is molded onto them and it was way easier to just replace the whole wheel. I think I added a knob to replace the bolt for the one blade guide adjustment otherwise I think you found all the hidden treasures.

Randy do you get a discount from your insurance Co. having a Fire Hydrant in your shop ? :)

Hal

Hal, good one.

Actually, the fire plug is cement and a lawn ornament. It was getting a fresh coat of paint also.

Randy

I didn't think you built your shop around it. :)

Thanks for your reply.

Hal

Randy, what did you use for the linear bearings for the moving handle.?

Randy, what did you use for the linear bearings for the moving handle.?

Alan,

I just used aluminum, nothing fancy. I don't move the saw all that much and precision movement is not an issue. I did up-grade the handle, made if a little longer and out of Stainless (had it lying around).

Geeze Randy, when you said you had a used 1100 I didn't realize that it looks better than the new one I have coming! LOL Hope your using cotton gloves to keep the finger prints at bay!! Sweet Lord that saw looks awesome man, beautiful job!!
Pete

Back