Emco 5 compact question

jerryhawthorne

Active User
Registered
OK, a wimpy lathe by most standards but has served me well for may projects over the last 30 years. I would like to know where I can buy some new cutting tools for it. In particular, left and right cutting tools, cut off tool and center boring tool. I'm no where near you guys and gals in experience but do know these things are dull. I don't have the grinder necessary to resharpen them. I only cut brass and aluminum. Sorry to be so naive about this. I'm new to this forum and really new to understanding all of the things that go into using this equipment. You might look at my 4 cylinder wobbler I started 30 years ago and finally finished. Most of that was done with some diamond cutting bits with real diamond cutter blades that I scrounged when the company I worked for went under. Most of those are dull or chipped at this point.
If I want to get back in this, I need to find some new tools. Thanks for you input.

Jerry

Jerry
I find it hard to believe you have run that thing for 30 years without sharpening your cutters.
Why don't you invest in a cheap 6" grinder and some High Speed Steel blanks?
Under $50 total and you will have enough to last you another decade.
Or you can buy some pre-ground cutters from Littlemachineshop.com

Thank you all for your answers. This will get me started. And AR1911, I may have had the lathe for 30 years but certainly have not used it all the time! Yup, the original cutters just don't seem to work like they used to! I have a grinder but no doubt not the right grinding wheel. If I only need a new set of cutters every 30 years with my usage and probably only one more engine project, well, at my age, a new set will far outlast me.
Appreciate your help and hope to learn more here.

Jerry

Jerry, are you looking to use HSS tooling or carbide (either brazed or inserted)? The cheapest way out is going to be HSS tool blanks and your grinder. It doesn't take too much in the way of any special grinding wheels to do most tool grinding. No reason to be afraid of it. I'd probably make an exception in the boring bar arena though. Look for a brazed carbide, or a reasonable priced inserted bar. The trick there is the diameter vs length. Of course, the longer it is, the larger the diameter should be for stable cutting. Then comes the decision of what your typical bore is going to be like. Most of the time, a long bar is not a problem in a short bore, because that determines where you hold it. A short bar will stop you from doing a deep bore, however. There are some reasonably priced sets of 4 pcs or so that are probably a good choice for general use. Are you planning on getting threading tools also? Again, for OD work, HSS is probably your best choice, but if you need an ID thread that you can't tap, you need a threading bar. Another can of worms. Same with ID grooving. Of course, with enough time and the right temperament, a grinder can yield useable tools for most of that as well. It can be a never ending story if you want a tool for every scenario.

Jerry,

If there is a Harbor Freight near you, they sale a cheap selection of HSS lathe bits for around five dollars. I pick up a pack or two every time I go there, matter of fact I have two packs right now on the console of my truck. These will do 95% of what I need, but you do need a grinder to shape them as they are merely blanks.

Here's the link - http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...-tool-bits-for-metalworking-lathes-40641.html

Good Luck!

Thank you Tony et.al. Yes I have a 6" grinder with a rather rough wheel that wobbles a bit. Either due to the wheel or the grinder! I suspect you people use some type of holder when grinding the blank. Either that or you have very steady hands that are impervious to the heat build up and burning your fingers. I have all the original tools that came with my Emco and as you would guess dull. I did manage to break off the the cutoff tool, but found another. It too is now dull. Anyone out there who would like to take on the project of sharpening them, let me know. Happy to pay. I think there are about 5 of them. Should last me for at least another 10 years!:))

Jerry

Well, I do freehand when I grind my HSS tools, but I have been doing it a while. Of course, in a real toolroom, like in a factory, it's common to use precision fixtures and grinding machinery. As far as the heat goes, it's not a good idea to let the bit get too hot anyway, and I use my hands to gauge the temp and dunk it in a water container every so often as I grind. If you see the color change, like straw to blue, you are changing the hardness of the tool, and you don't want to do that.

If you wheel is wobbling, you can dress it with a couple of different tools that don't cost much, and do a reasonable job of sharpening them. Or, if you have a belt/disc sander combination, you can get a aluminum oxide belt and do a bit of sharpening with it, but the methods are a little different. Seems to me we had a thread recently about using belts to sharpen tools. You probably have more options that you realize. Of course, you probably could talk someone into sharpening them for you if you don't feel comfortable trying it yourself.

Thank you all, may give it a try, I do have a couple blanks. Also have a belt/disc sander and may get an appropriate disk for it. I will let you know how my first comes out.
Jerry

Back