Emco Maximat and Unimat

Is the Grizzly "South Bend Heavy 10" a clone of the Emco Super 11?

It looks very similar, other than a D1-4 spindle and a VFD vs dual-speed motor.

Is the Grizzly "South Bend Heavy 10" a clone of the Emco Super 11?

It looks very similar, other than a D1-4 spindle and a VFD vs dual-speed motor.
Sure does look similar. It wouldn't surprise me if the Chinese factory cloned a Super 11 to make this Heavy 10. Weiss did that, too.

Little things that an Emco owner would see are indeed visible on the Heavy 10, including the cross slide gib shape, the main spindle being a dead ringer for one from a Super 11, FAG spindle bearings and other innocuous touches.

One thing that set Emco apart was that the Super 11 was built to a DIN toolroom lathe standard. Not so sure what kind of standard Grizzly uses but I have to admit you're right - a good looking clone.

Spec sheet says it’s Taiwanese even. Ordered one when it was $1k off last month so we’ll see how it works out heh.

Maybe money is for spending?

Spec sheet says it’s Taiwanese even. Ordered one when it was $1k off last month so we’ll see how it works out heh.

Maybe money is for spending?
I went back and looked at the spindle bearings. Hopefully, they used FAG32009 P5 bearings. If so, then the spindle should run pretty accurately. My S11 uses FAG P5's and it has zero TIR.

The leadscrew nuts on yours looks like they adjust the same as the S11 so hopefully you can dial out all backlash. Likewise, the gibs seem to adjust similarly. An S11 has zero play on the cross slide and compound, yet moves like butter. The gibs are cast iron and ground to tight tolerances and have divots ground into them to fit tapered pins; I suspect yours will be the same.

Your cross slide has T-slots running the entire length; this enables you to rear mount tools back there, a big plus.

The more I look at this lathe, the more I think you're right - it appears to be a Taiwanese S11 clone. Good eye and I think you made a good buy. If it is anywhere near as good a lathe as an S11, you'll be happy with it.

Old thread I know, but I have a Maximat 7 and looking for manuals.
Anyone know where I can find them without having to cough up $35 to $40 for an eBay photocopy?
Thanks

Emco’s are nice machines, I’ve been really happy with my v10p. The mill is pretty good given its size and even does well in steel with 3/8 roughing end mills. I used an ER25 collet holder on mine at the start but found plain MT2 collets to be much better.

Back