Emco Super 11

The one Stefan Gotteswinter has on his Super 11 sounds very sweet in his videos - nothing like mine.

Stefan changed his motor to a 3 ph with VFD before he even showed the lathe in a video. He didn't like the single phase motor, either.

Stefan changed his motor to a 3 ph with VFD before he even showed the lathe in a video. He didn't like the single phase motor, either.
I kinda thought Stefan made the switch which is why I am glad the original poster is considering 3-phase. I noted a much smoother running setup on my PM1340GT after replacing the stock single-phase with a new 3-P motor - less harmonic-like vibration. I would not be happy without variable speed provided by a VFD but that’s just me. I’m also glad I went with a vector-rated motor - low end torque at 20 Hz is amazing.

Took the motor off, it appears that it is a straight 440v 3 phase motor..

Can i presume that this is a 2 speed motor?

motor tag.jpeg

So i am reading that in order to get full capacity (if you can call it that) of the motor, it will need two VFD's.. One to run each of the windings on the motor..

i am thinking that if i can find a suitable 220v single phase motor, two speed motor.. this would be my best option.. apparently, this motor that i have now is rated at around 2 - 2.35 horses

or this option

I think you need answer a few questions, do you have three phase? Do you want to use the original motor?

no i don't have three phase.. it is why i am going through these contortions trying to figure it out, i feel that leaving the original motor might be beneficial.. but to what extent i don't know.. i have yet had the chance to take the motor to the armature shop we have here.. i have talked to them on the phone.. they said that they would try to find a compatible single phase motor to replace it.. we'll see if that is so and at what price i am looking at through them. it's all in the air right now.. and i am throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

One problem might be that the euro motor has a different mount than what is available in the US, so more work get something mounted. Also I am not sure about the shaft size thing to get the EMCO multi-groove pulley to mount to a US motor , more problems. You might see if you can find a EMCO motor, might be the easiest, I have the single phase 115 volt 2 speed motor on mine and it works just fine. The other EMCO motors are all 3 phase, actually the 115 volt motor is 3 phase but they add a capacitor to make it single phase but at less power than the straight 3 phase motors, 1.3 hp vs 1.8hp. You might go down this idea, get a convertor to make 3 phase, then a transformer to go from 220v to 440v, then you can use the motor that's on there. I think that I mentioned this before, but I have a VFD on one of my mills, that has a 2 speed motor that I wired to the high speed winding, It works ok, but looses power at low speeds, could be because it is an older VFD, I don't know?

Back