Emergency Call, Wife says, your lathe is running, I can’t stop it!!

Got home safe, spent an hour or two cleaning up the surface rust and getting the water out of the compound/cross slide.
A 1/2" pvc pipe was bent over pointing at the garage door. The sprinkler head was busted off. We had a 1/2" stream of water directed at my garage shop.
All is well, thank goodness.

Damn, you just can't catch a break.... I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse.

As I realize that I most likely won't outlive the 30 yr. warranty on my roof and my wife will be left to deal with any issues that arise, I began writing a comprehensive user manual for the house. Electrical, HVAC, plumbing, and COM.

With lighting being essentially 100% LED and half of it being custom, even if professionals were called in, they would spend a good deal of time scratching their heads and then probably recommend pulling it out. Attached to the list is spreadsheet which identifies the fifty plus circuit breakers in three panels by circuit, along with a reverse search list.

The paint colors for each room, along with the manufacturer and mix codes are listed as well. For rooms that have been remodeled, stud locations are given.

We have a custom HVAC system with dual heat options. Ductwork has a dual configuration based on option selected. The wood burning furnace has its own special needs, such as maintenance of the furnace and flue. A project for this year will be to install a mini-split heat pump to the attic electronics workshop which will add yet another layer of complexity.

We have a private well and a septic system so info on these systems and a detailed description of operation is given. The water supply system includes the pressure tank, water softener, and water heater, along with the various shutoff valves. The septic system has a pumped drainfield so information on the pump and the fault sensor circuitry is given.

The COM system includes voice and DSL, WiFi, Ethernet cabling, and rooftop TV antenna with amplifier and distribution systems.

The bonus is that with my failing memory, I find the manual useful as well.

Now, if I can just remember where I put it.

That is very thoughtful of you.
We moved into a, new to us, 20 year old house. The sellers were kind enough to leave us all their warranty and owners manuals for the appliances and other devices. The sprinkler system and the LED lighting in the cabinets are a mystery.
The other thing that has me baffled, the rafters in the garage has a sheet metal barrier between the rafter and the sheet rock. I can't figure out what or why it's there.
Good for you to make an attempt to clarify your changes and additions you made over the years.

My comprehensive “if I go before you” plan is a little less detailed. It’s just one page. It has an auction house phone number, a realtors phone number, and a pamphlet entitled “Travel the world on 5 dollars a day.”

My wife told me this one;

I was down at my dads shop where I was the office manager. The fire Extinguisher company was on site doing their annual service where they inspect and replace all the extinguishers in the shop. (We have a 5 year expiration on all extinguishers) I remembered the extinguisher at my house needs to be serviced as well. I call my older sister and this is how the call went.

"Deedra?, This is Lisa, you know the extinguisher under the sink?,

Deedra responds "yea"

I replied in an excited voice;" Grab it and bring it to the shop, HURRY!" and hang up.

You can imagine the panic in my big sister that was growing by the second as she feverishly dialed 911 and sent the fire department down to our dads shop.

Got home safe, spent an hour or two cleaning up the surface rust and getting the water out of the compound/cross slide.
A 1/2" pvc pipe was bent over pointing at the garage door. The sprinkler head was busted off. We had a 1/2" stream of water directed at my garage shop.
All is well, thank goodness.
We need a facepalm emoji.

The other thing that has me baffled, the rafters in the garage has a sheet metal barrier between the rafter and the sheet rock. I can't figure out what or why it's there.
Good for you to make an attempt to clarify your changes and additions you made over the years.

I would think its for fire ratings. Is your garage attached? For my local code a garage attached or within 10' of a home must be dry walled with 5/8" not the standard 1/2. And that's for a 45min fire rating. Probably makes reception a challenge?

I never thought of that. Sheet metal between the sheet rock and the insulation and studs?? Hmm.
I tell you one thing, these homes are insulated. When we cut into the stucco to run conduit for the sub-panel, we found a foil strip, 1 1/2" of styrofoam insulation then the plywood shear then the pink glass insulation in the walls.

Janderso, it sounds like a refit: Whenever I add insulation to a house, I add it to the outside of the sheathing - it's far cheaper, and easier to get airtight!

Back