ENC VFD on a Lathe

David2011

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A Victor 1340GHE lathe just joined my workshop. That thread is at https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/price-point-or-size-for-better-quality.110357/. The original electrical controls have all been disconnected and an ENC VFD is wired directly to the 220V 3HP 3PH motor. On my 3 phase mill I easily connected the original drum switch to the control bus of the Automation Direct VFD and it worked first try. With the ENC VFD understanding the poorly translated 283 page manual is more of a challenge.

The starting point is that the lathe runs but the default 50 cycle operation was never changed to 60 cycles. Not a problem, that's among the first things the manual covers. The other things I want to accomplish are immediately killing drive power when the foot brake is engaged and controlling the spindle motor's forward/off/reverse from the spindle control lever. It looks like AI1, AI2 and GRD are the correct terminals but finding the parameters to configure them is challenging due to the language translation.

Control Board Terminal.JPG

This is the section of the manual that makes me think AI1, AI2 and GRD are the correct terminals.

1708641507617.png

This is the connection information for AI1 and AI2:

1708641652269.png

1708641704772.png

Looks like the switches should be in the voltage input positions. Am I on the right track so far?

I don't think those are the correct inputs
Can you post a link to the VFD manual?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think you'd be using X inputs- I'll look
Yes, you would use X1 for the foot brake stop for example,
and for the spindle switch X2 and maybe X3- depends on the switch; how many contacts there are
You would also use the COM terminal (Page 28, fig 3-9)
You need to strap the +24v to the PW terminal also (short circuit slice means jumper)
THEN
you need to program the unit to enable those inputs and execute the mode you want
So a bit of reading and head-scratching is involved. Kind of a stretch to call it programming- more like entering parameters

Last edited:
My Chinese VFD has the digital input terminals wired to the drum switch on my mill. They are programmable to control multiple functions of the VFD. I have the switch connected to DI1, DI2, and Com.
You should be able to connect your foot brake switch to a 3rd input and program that terminal to kill power to the motor. My VFD has a parameter called “Free Stop” that kills power to the motor and lets it coast instead of going into decel mode.

IMG_2425.jpeg

and for the spindle switch X2 and maybe X3- depends on the switch; how many contacts there are
You need to strap the +24v to the PW terminal also (short circuit slice means jumper)
THEN
you need to program the unit to see those inputs and do the mode you want
So a bit of reading and head-scratching is involved
Great! Thank you. Now to figure out which parameters to set. I was guessing that the VFD was very flexible which, combined with the difficult instructions, is not friendly to this user. My mind is very literal and that doesn't help with the unusual wording of instructions.

My Chinese VFD has the digital input terminals wired to the drum switch on my mill. They are programmable to control multiple functions of the VFD. I have the switch connected to DI1, DI2, and Com.
You should be able to connect your foot brake switch to a 3rd input and program that terminal to kill power to the motor. My VFD has a parameter called “Free Stop” that kills power to the motor and lets it coast instead of going into decel mode.

View attachment 479728
That's the difference between well written instructions and what I have to interpret. This is the same general area of my instructions. I set my mill up using the original big Hubbell drum switch and I love it. It was very easy with the directions in the Automation Direct manual. Like Mark said, a bit of head scratching is involved.

Marginal Instructions.JPG

THEN
you need to program the unit to enable those inputs and execute the mode you want
So a bit of reading and head-scratching is involved. Kind of a stretch to call it programming- more like entering parameters
I'll be heading to the shop with a printout of part of the manual soon. I have a computer out there but needed something to hold in my hand while standing in front of the VFD. Shenxhen Encom didn't make it easy. The PDF is published locked so it can't be printed or marked up, the text can't be copied except with screen shot software or any reasonable method of putting important sections on paper. We bought a PDF unlocker just to be able to excerpt sections of the manual.

I'm guessing you don't have any vendor help here in the states? This could take a while. Put on a big pot of coffee
It speeds things up considerably if you can get a cheat sheet from the vendor after showing them what you are trying to do
There are a couple of macros in the back, not sure how helpful
One thing I can suggest is to wire up some small temporary buttons or toggles right near the VFD while you are testing settings
in place of the switches on the lathe

On page 68 it shows the options available for each of the X inputs- there are 92 different choices for each one
I do see settings 1 and 2 for forward and reverse and setting 25 for free stop, so you'd want to use those I think
Factory default has X1=1=forward and X2=2=reverse. So you might want to use X3 for the free stop

Last edited:
Somewhere in the manual they explain the difference between 2-wire and 3- wire mode for forward/reverse. I scanned thru
but couldn't find it. I think you want 3-wire mode
This is F08.26 , page 70

I'm crashing- pick it up tomorrow

Last edited:
Back