enco 13x40 lathe vibrations andnhowmto eliminate

Use some Lock Tight on the screws to keep it from happening again. Use the blue Lock Tight it comes in a red container.

Good luck,

Paul

Good to hear ahem read!
Pierre

Last edited:
You might want to drain that oil case and make sure you don't have some screws laying around down there.

Ray

You win the prize Pierre! One of the gears in the gearhead wass wabbling, on closer inspection only 2 of the allen screws were left and they were almost off:)) Tigtened them up tapped the gear in place than started her up. No torque spin, no vibration and the tick in the gear head was gone:)) i'll purchase allen screws tomorrow for the missing ones and align thengear better, but i think that should just about make her perfect, or close enough for me.

Thanks for all the help guys, I think we got this one:allgood:

rich

I would also think that the square tubing is a trip hazard and it needs some concrete anchors. Tim

Lathe vibration round2 from where i was to where i am, nigt and day difference, still have a little shake rattle and roll in her, and i think i know what is likely the problem. The same gear, which happens to be on the spindle shaft, that was missing allen screws and others coming loose, has a slight jiggle in her, i cannot imagine how something like that could ever get worped or bent like that it is a steel gear afterall :nuts: i can only imagine this migt have been like this its whole life...
I replaced the vbelt with a link belt, which appeared to make things a touch smoother... so now, i am going to look into another gear and unfortunately pulling the spindle shaft... what things should i be looking to do at the same time? What advise, tips or helpful hints would you like to share with me on this? Are there any helpful tests one would recommend or suggest. The manual gives no info on this, so i want to take some time to research this through.

thanks for looking and any help offered!

rich

Re: enco 13x40 lathe vibrations and how to eliminate

Hey Man-

What do you have as regards indicators at this point? And what do you have that would fit into the headstock? Any collets or anything?

If not, you could get the tip of an indicator into the inside taper, whatever it is, and run the spindle at it's lowest speed. Also try turning the spindle by hand with the belt loosened. Then try wiggling the spindle up-down left-right with your hand, and see what the indicator does.

I am not convinced the spindle bearings are adjust properly anyway. If you find out how to take the spindle out, it should be obvious how to tighten it. I would try that for a few minutes just to see. I would be surprised it there weren't tapered bearings of some kind in there, and therefore must be a way to adjust them.

Bernie

Last edited:

Hey Man-

What do you have as regards indicators at this point? And what do you have that would fit into the headstock? Any collets or anything?

If not, you could get the tip of an indicator into the inside taper, whatever it is, and run the spindle at it's lowest speed. Also try turning the spindle by hand with the belt loosened. Then try wiggling the spindle up-down left-right with your hand, and see what the indicator does.

I am not convinced the spindle bearings are adjust properly anyway. If you find out how to take the spindle out, it should be obvious how to tighten it. I would try that for a few minutes just to see. I would be surprised it there weren't tapered bearings of some kind in there, and therefore must be a way to adjust them.

Bernie
Thanks Bernie

is the adjustment to the tapered bearing known as pre load? Just curious, i have seen that word mentioned on this forumn before.

rich

Thanks Bernie

is the adjustment to the tapered bearing known as pre load? Just curious, i have seen that word mentioned on this forumn before.

rich

Not Bernie here. No really, it's not Bernie but the answer is yes. The preload explanation is spelled out really well on the Grizzly site and in reality yours is the same machine. It's pretty simple and you'll be there anyway.

Have a go. You'll enjoy the fruits of your labor.

ok, got it, i wemt to the grizzly 4003g lathe, much better manual, for a whole host of reasons. They give a very xlear and concise walkthrow of the operation of adjusting the preload.
In the manual tey do have a symptons list... for entire machine vibrates on startup and running
1)work piece unbalanced
2)loose or damaged v belts
3)worn or broken gear present
4)v belts not properly aligned
5)chuxk or faceplare is unbalanced
6)gears not aligned in headstock or no backlash
7)broken gear or bad bearing
8)workpiece is hittinf stationary object
9)spindle bearings arenat fault
so i have some work to do to eliminate everythin not a gear or bearing... than some checks to verify correct operation or thw othwr components...
thanks grizzly for making a decent manualnfornus enco users.

rich

Back