Enco 508vs model 105 1530

wallaceknives

Registered
Registered
I'm looking at an ENCO 508vs mill/drill. Model #105 1530. It looks like it was never used, still has the cosmoline and wax wrap on the column. It has a bit of light surface rust (nothing WD 40 and steel wool won't fix) no deep pitting. The table still moves smoothly. The asking price is $1000. Does anyone have any info on this machine ? Is this a fair price ? What size collets does it use ? I'm guessing its and older model as I can't find any info on it. Any info would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

It's probably some version of a Rong Fu, if it's made in Taiwan it is a Rong Fu.

$1,000 is less than a new one for sure but it doesn't hurt to negotiate, more details of the machine's features would help, single phase motor?

The spindle is almost certainly R8, so R8 collets.

Made in Taiwan is good, three phase is even better, you can put a VFD on it and make it variable speed, there's not so many of these machines around that came with 3 phase motors.

A picture would be very helpful.

Own the same Machine, LOVE IT

105-1530 is a RF-30 variant that has a factory variable speed belt drive on it.. R8 collets, 3 phase 1 - 1/2 HP motor I run mine on a Teco VFD. http://monarch14.blogspot.com/2014/03/3-phase-power-in-home-shop.html

It would be interesting to see if the specs on that unit match the machine I have:

Table is 8 x 29 3/4 with 3 T slots
24 inches X axis travel
7 1/2 inches of Y axis travel
5 1/4 inches quil (Z travel)
T slots 2 1/8 and 4 1/4 on centers

Uses 'Bridgeport' standard clamping, 1/2 inch studs and 5/8 x 1 Tee nuts. I have photos of my unit up on the Yahoo Mill_drill group where a number of us hang out https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MILL_DRILL/photos/albums

There are a number of photos of my units VS drive attached to the end of this thread http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=20283

Price is always a little as the seller will accept and as much a buyer is willing to pay. My unit came off FeeBay, was described as needs work and I had to drive to Omaha, NE to go get it but for $124, I think it was worth it. I have to finish rebuilding the fine feed shaft for the Z axis, its all chewed up from loose handles. And I had to mill out 2 of the TEE slots because the factory never did.

I did find out from Enco Tech support that the 105-1530 is considered out of support life, so if you or I need parts for that unit we are out of luck. (Which I would use in price Negotiations. You're selling me an AS is, no parts available.....) IMO if I need something other than bearings, etc. I'll either make the replacement or source a part from Enco / jet / Harbor Freight and adapt it to fit. Thats why I HAVE 2 metal lathes and a mill.

I have not been able to locate an exact users - parts manual for the unit, but their pretty self explanatory..

let me know if you want any pictures of my unit or to compare notes. So far it's a great machine. I graduated to it from a HF bench top Sieg mill. After babying every cut on that Tiny bench top machine, I got to this guy and my thoughts were: " SO.. THIS is milling......."

Thanks sdunt !! You provided me with a wealth of knowledge on this unit. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it set up.

Back