enco 92059

dirty tools

Active User
Registered
I picked this up at gov surplus (USN naval air) last month
I stripped and repainted the base.
today I moved it into my shop.
The spider for the ram is broken I only have 1 of the broken pieces.
I have lots of work to do before I can make small pieces of metal out of big ones.
How can I tell if the motor is 230 volt single phase or 3 phase
all of the data on the tag has been ripped clean

015.JPG 017.JPG 005.JPG

If you have another mill to use or a Friend that has one you could make the parts to fix the spider. Then Braze/Weld them back on.

On the motor you could take it to a motor shop and have it checked, But if it was mine I would take the belts off so you can rap a rope around them. But before you do that hook 220 up to it and if it just hums it will prolly be 3 phase.

Then have someone throw the breaker on and give the rope a quick pull it should start it it is 3 phase. Don't rap the rope around your hand it should pull easy.

Paul

thanks PaulI was going to TIG weld the spider, or just make a new one out of steel plate.as for the motor I was going to have a shop check it out.

thanks PaulI was going to TIG weld the spider, or just make a new one out of steel plate.as for the motor I was going to have a shop check it out.

I don't think TIG welding will work well (or at all) with that cast iron spider. Brazing will join it, but I think that it would be awfully weak; you could braze on a little "cheater strap" over the break. You can find a lot of shops that can plasma or water jet this sort of shape out of steel plate (A36, A516, etc.) very reasonably. If there is room in the machine you can have them made from just a little thicker material for rigidity. Looks like Barnacle Bill had this machine stored in Davey Jones' locker. This machine (ENCO 100-1525?) looks very much like the Jet JVM-836 and the corresponding Grizzly G6760. Parts might be available if you want to take the time. I don't know about Jet, but Grizzly's tech support is good in my experience.
Good Luck, Geoff

TIG welding is stronger than brazing and you do not have to pre/post heat.
I will post pictures after it is welded.
:whiteflag:

TIG welding is stronger than brazing and you do not have to pre/post heat.
I will post pictures after it is welded.
:whiteflag:
Thanks, I look forward. Let me know the parameters. Aluminum-Bronze filler rod? I see that this material has superseded Ni rod as the preferred filler metal for TIG on cast iron (or so it is claimed). My welding experience has not been good with C.I. I have had quite good results using Aluminum-Bronze with oxy-acetylene. Beveled the joint wide, used preheat to about 400 degrees F and did the work in a chemical lime bed, similar to a foundry flask, covered the finished job with lime and allowed the casting to cool over night. Used a propane Turbo-torch for preheat and a big (#4 Victor) tip on the oxy-actylene torch. Regards, Geoff

oops I forgot to take any pictures.
I put the beast together the other day.
I just ordered a VFD for it an should be getting the VFD soon.
Then I will have to a tach. on and remote switches.

I finally got the mill running with VFD.
I completed my first project also.
I made a set of soft jaws for my recycled vise (salvaged from a mech shop).

001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG

Back