[How-To] Enco drawbar issue

A bit of Google-fu reveals that a Class 2 thread has a major diameter of .4277 - .4358, class 3 is 0.4289 - 0.437
So it seems to me that the threads could be reduced enough to pass through the spindle.

RESULTS

Thanks for all suggestions. I decided to drill out the existing drawbar hole in the spindle to fit the new drawbar diameter. Used a hand held drill motor and a 6 inch drill bit. Since I was only oversizing the hole by about .020 inch, I ground the drill point angle to near flat (about 10 degrees) so that the drill bit would not "self tap" into the existing hole. Locked the spindle so it would not turn and very slowly and carefully fed the drill bit in. Got the drill bit in about 4 inches and switched to a longer bit. At about 10 inches deep the hole opened up. When I first checked the drawbar hole, I thought I would need to drill down about 15 inches but was happy the hole opened up at 10 inches deep. Cleaned the hole and spindle and checked the new drawbar that fit in easily and had very minimal play. Mission accomplished. Now just need to shorten the new drawbar which will be easy compared to this task. Thanks again all.

Back