Enco is it worth it?

Enco is usally nice stuff. Taiwanese quality is good, even in this class of machines. I have an Enco band saw of similar age as that lathe. Side by side, it looks like any rebranded chinese machine, but it dials in nicely and runs quiet. I have seen the little Enco lathes on a ship or two in a "tool room" capacity. Parts are highly likely to exchange between that and current chinese production lathes of the same design. It's probably more machine than an Atlas, especially at that price.

Enco is just a reseller, I have an Enco 9x20 and other than the paint it is basically identical to the Jet BD920 and Grizzly G4000. I've bought parts from Grizzly and most have fit perfectly, the ones that didn't are probably due to product improvement over 30 years (mine was made in the early 90s) rather than the brand difference.

On an older import lathe it can be tricky matching it to a current model but somebody is probably still selling that machine. Enco is now under MSC so parts and support may even be available direct from them.

I think that is a 13x40 based on a quick google search, $1500 seems a more than fair price if it is without serious issues and comes with at least the standard tooling of a chuck, steady rest, follow rest etc.

Just came across this Enco on marketplace. Tag said made in tiawan. And insight would be helpful. Also says come with tooling no pictures though. He is asking 1500 says everything works as should.
Hi, I think you fell on a steal of a deal. I would jump on this before someone else. I watch lathe prices and I feel this is at least a $3.500 dollar lathe, Minimum.

I finished my job in Atlanta on Friday and getting ready to drive home on Saturday. I woke up early and was killing time on craigslist, there was a listing for a 90's 1340 Enco for $895. No motor and a stuck feed rod, I would have jumped on it if it didn't involve spending one more minute there!

I don't know why you haven't gone to look at the lathe already. Good deals often don't last until the weekend. Not saying you have to buy it, but, you ought to look at it before someone else does.
Lathe is 3 hours away. Don’t have time until the weekend

Lathe is 3 hours away. Don’t have time until the weekend
I understand not having time. However, make sure you call before you leave (on the weekend), to make sure it is still there. Would hate for you to waste a trip.

I drove 2 days to get my lathe, and two days back (9-10 hours per day). The things we do, to get our machines!

I almost feel like getting that lathe... But getting it into the basement...
Looks good to me.. I also don't do facebook, and apparently without an account I could not contact the seller... So you are doubly lucky..

I almost feel like getting that lathe... But getting it into the basement...
Looks good to me.. I also don't do facebook, and apparently without an account I could not contact the seller... So you are doubly lucky..
I had to learn how to get a lathe into my basement. Was interesting learning about some rigging. I managed not to kill myself or my buddy, so I count that as successful. Did get to test out the failsafes though. Darn good thing they were there. 2 infinitely long seconds of terror followed by the chain tightening and holding.

Long time ago, I signed up for that book. Never really used it, as I didn't care for it. Went on Market Place a while back, and actually bought something "local". But, yeah, that book it is its own little world. Not my world.

Back