Enco RF-45?

bimmerbill

Registered
Registered
I have a RF-40 round column mill and was thinking of getting a square column mill to replace it.
Does anyone have the Enco RF-45? Its on sale this week. Just wondering how it stacks up to some of the other RF-45 clones.
Thanks,
Bill

I have one. I like it, but then again, it's the only mill I've ever used. The overall quality seems fine, but a lot of the details are poorly executed. For instance, the hole in the bottom mount for the quill stop bolt was drilled off center and the roll pins holes for the gear selector levers were drilled crooked. That said, I'd buy the same machine again. I'd occasionally like something a bit bigger, but I don't really have the room for anything larger and this machine will handle most of the projects I'd like to do. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Had round column, seig, now using Enco RF-45 since 2009.

Have also used Bridgeport, Lagun, mills, big ones.

There were some key parts missing on the column, when
replacing the bearings, a year ago (machining some heat treated and some not heat treated lathe tool holders) . The guide pin, that fits into the column long slot,
was not there.

There is also about .2 up down of head, when using the fine fine. Its those gears
back lash. So, usually never use it. Just lock the column, use the quill or crank
head up or down.

Another poorly designed feature was column lock, replace with brass and profile
more closely match's column. Was developing quite a bit of scoring on column.

The crank for head is on right side, believe Grizzlys are on left side, so your spider, thing that moves column up down, is sort of in your face, on my mill.

Another gotcha are those screw in pins to align R-8 collets in spindle. Spindle is not heat treated on mine. Spun a collet, sheared those pins. Replaced those pins,
2 holes for pins on mine. Noticed some R-8 collets would not fit up good. Bridgeport has a nice key to guide collet into spindle. So, I tossed the pins. All my collets fit
now.

Got a great table with 4 slots. Handles are aluminum...sort of cheesy. Check run out
of spindle when first got it, checked after replacing bearings, less than .001.

good luck

Charl

You will be wanting to change out the lead screws with ball screws, cut oil groves in the ways and put a one shot oilier:))
Mine is Enco 45 and I retired from a full manual shop with American iron and was spoiled by the equipment we had.
I am in the process of refitting the mill as I am using it to produce parts for vintage Jaguar,s for a local shop and a few other jobs local here.
I live in a vacuum as far as used equipment goes so I had to settle for the 45 always with a eye out for Lagun or BP.:thinking:
Hope this helps and there are better and worse 45,s but so goes the price with the quality!!!
Good luck:))

Back