End Mills-Taking out the center??

Awleaphart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys,
Is there an easier way to take out the center of end mills so you can sharpen them. I seen a few done with a EDM but I don't think you can purchase a small one just to do end mill centers. I tried the cutting out with flat disc and didn't care for that to much. Its a COD thing also I think. I like them to look nice after grinding. I been using a KO Lee grinder but those centers get me mad. LOL
A Leaphart

Back when I had a steady hand (essential tremor now) I cleaned out the gash on end mills by hand with a hard fine grinding wheel that would hold a fairly sharp corner, this mostly on 2 flute end mills.

Thanks for the info.
I just have a home shop and all work is for fun and play. All those end mills in boxes sitting around-

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to "take out the centers" to sharpen end mills. I'm guessing you are referring to the gash in on center cutting end mills. If that's the case I've done as John suggests with either a thin grinding wheel or a cutting disk on Dremel tool. Since I much prefer center cutting mills, I use a thin wheel on the surface grinder and sharpen to the center.

I was a bit surprised when I bought a Darex E90 end mill sharpener...it has an air bearing, diamond wheel, very precise positioning for different flute end mills, and stops for the main and secondary cutting edges...however, it says to cut the gash by hand.

I have to say it does a nice job on the rest of the cutter.

I was looking for a one sided taper wheel to go on my Ko lee but everything I found was diamond or CBN and they are high. I was looking for a nice tapered number 3 I think it is- white grinding stone just for gashing

I was a bit surprised when I bought a Darex E90 end mill sharpener...it has an air bearing, diamond wheel, very precise positioning for different flute end mills, and stops for the main and secondary cutting edges...however, it says to cut the gash by hand.

I have to say it does a nice job on the rest of the cutter.
I think that the one that I had was set up for gashing, I think that the air bearing spindle raised up to accomplish the task.

I think that the one that I had was set up for gashing, I think that the air bearing spindle raised up to accomplish the task.
I wish. But the manual does not so indicate. However, based on your recollection, I'll dig a bit deeper.

I wish. But the manual does not so indicate. However, based on your recollection, I'll dig a bit deeper.
That model number sounded familiar, but I can't be sure if it was that maker/model, it has been 10 years since I sold out and retired, and I have forgotten a few things, tut the grinder that I had did hace the gashing feature (I'm pretty sure).

Back