End Mills-Taking out the center??

I use a thin cutoff wheel on my KO for doing the gash. The end mill is held in the workhead.

I have a Darex E90 for end mills. Nothing on it about gashing. Now Darex at one time sold two different drill bit sharpeners and one of those had gashing for drill bit. The other model didn’t. I own the drill bit sharpener without the gashing. Also have the manual if anyone needs them.

So in the picture above is an end mill with the center gone and the secondary angle is grinder all the way back. This is kinda what I’m looking to do in the shop if possible

The center is clean, but that end mill is still "gash cut" and heavily relieved. If sharpened much more than a touch-up, it'll need gashes again.

I wish there was a better technical term for that, but it is what it is.

I use a cheap 1-1/4 arbor/4-1/2x1/8 CBN cutoff wheel that I keep double-mounted with a flaring cup on my Sheckel grinder. The setup leaves a lot to be desired, but with some thought you can do the gashing needed for every end mill, whether it has two flutes or seven.

I sharpen a lot of carbide endmills from 3/8" down to 3/16", and the low tech approach to gashing the center is using a diamond swiss file.

Back