Engage Back Gear

I am coming to the conclusion that the screw 180 deg. around from the pin is a vintage indicator. Unfortunately, the available illustrated (exploded view) parts manuals are all 1950's or 1960's revisions and show only the latest revision part numbers. The only early 10" parts list I know of is actually on the 10E Unit Plan model, which has no back gears. The revised 10F parts manual does not show the screw. My guess is that somewhere along the way, Atlas decided that the screw wasn't necessary and eliminated it. I also noticed that originally the spindle pulley had the same 60 indexing holes as does the bull gear. This was dropped at some point, too. All that I can add is that by the time that Atlas got around to writing an instruction section for the manuals the screw in the bull gear was long gone.

Robert D.

I think mine is a 10F as it also has the power feed on the cross slide.
When I took that screw all the way out I noticed that the thread on the bull wheel extended all the way out along the webs which extend out past beyond the hole.
This tells me that it wasn't a back yard job. The tap must have been fed in by a machine moving at the correct pitch. You couldn't do that by hand.

Its all good as nothing is broken
Thanks for your interest.

David

Yes, if the nameplate says that it is a "V42", it is a 10F, which were supplied with either babbit or Timken bearings and with either vertical or horizontal countershafts. If it were a 10D (or formerly a 10E), it could at some time have been upgraded to 3/4" dia. lead screw and power crossfeed but the nameplate (assuming that it had one still) would say "1042".

Robert D.

Back