Engine Hoist Rebuild

Harry Knutz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,

A While back I had mentioned I was going to re-build my Shop Hoist as I had bought it new I believe in 1989 at Costco. It is a Taiwan made Hoist made by "Allied"

The long ram still worked but leaked pretty bad. And one of the main legs was bent up making it where not all of the wheels were touching at one time. The main thing I wanted to do was change the bottom support legs that went out at an angle and were narrower the farther it went in and makes it hard to straddle a lathe. So I made it wide enough to straddle most anything you would encounter in the shop. So I ordered an 8 ton long ram that is air powered, I can tell you that the 8 ton long ram you get today is much smaller than the one from 30 some odd years ago, The diameter of the ram itself is about 0.300 smaller and so is the reservoir body. I doubt I would lift more than 2000 lbs anyway so I am okay with it. I also added a collar around where the telescoping beam goes in as that is where they tear out.

I welded a little bracket that holds a female air fitting just to store the hose to keep it from dragging and keep debris from getting into it. Theres my old "Tow Mater" Forklift in the background, It will only lift about 1500 lbs and is too big to fit inside, But it's better than nothing. And lastly, I am not the welder I once was, I can't see anymore.

Here is a pic from google that looks exactly like mine did before I rebuilt it, I forgot to take to pics.
1682192016865.png

Attachments

• DSCN4380.JPG
    DSCN4380.JPG
    839.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN4388.JPG
    DSCN4388.JPG
    696.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN4385.JPG
    DSCN4385.JPG
    607.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN4390.JPG
    DSCN4390.JPG
    736.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN4383.JPG
    DSCN4383.JPG
    596.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN4382.JPG
    DSCN4382.JPG
    681.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Which ram did you get, and will it still pull a motor?

Which ram did you get, and will it still pull a motor?
I got the "Vevor" Brand because they had the best shipped price. It would still pull a motor on a 4 wheel drive truck, But The legs are too high now to fit under a car, I was a heavy equip mechanic for 30 years, And I also worked in Fab shops, I have no desire to change engines out anymore, Neither do I have the physical abilities to do it any longer, So the hoist is setup for a "Hobby Machine Shop" now.

I put 5 inch casters on it so it sits higher now, As opposed to the 2 inch ones it had on it. 2 inch casters are not rated anywhere near what the hoist is rated at which is 2 tons anyway. I think these 2 ton hoists are optimistic in their weight ratings anyway, I think the 2 ton hoists realistically can lift about one ton, And I have no idea on the one ton hoists because I have never used one, But to me, I have never used this hoist with the telescoping beam all the way in, It just can't reach anything like that, So I believe I have used it mostly on the one ton setting.

The nice thing about these old Taiwanese hoists is they have telescoping out riggers on the rear, and the legs on the front telescope out, I no longer have the rear ones, But the width is much wider now the way I designed it now anyway.

All I have left to do is throw quick paint job on it.

Attachments

• DSCN4379.JPG
    DSCN4379.JPG
    985.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I also picked up another Gantry Crane for $100.00 the other day too, Just need to put it together.

@Harry Knutz

Your welds look fine to me.
That's a great upgrade to the standard hoist.
Thanks for sharing it!

Brian

@Harry Knutz

Your welds look fine to me.
That's a great upgrade to the standard hoist.
Thanks for sharing it!

Brian
Thank you my friend! If you could have seen my welds 10 or 15 years ago!

I hit it with some touch up paint.

Attachments

• DSCN4395.JPG
    DSCN4395.JPG
    849.8 KB · Views: 20
Back