Epoxy Granite and the Mini Mill

StudioMachinist

Registered
Registered
First post here so I apologize if there are already multiple threads on the discussion.

I'm specifically interested in the LMS 3990. Does anyone here have experience with this specific application or something similar with advice? Sound dampening is actually a priority over rigidity so any tips on that would be very helpful. The ultimate goal is to machine aluminum 80% and steel 20% of the time.

I'm not sure if I understand the question, but I'll give it my best shot. I have a LMS 3960 that has been modified using a counter weight instead of the spring, otherwise it's the same machine. These machines are pretty quiet since they are belt driven instead of gears. The motor is a brushless DC which makes it a little quieter than a brush DC. I never needed ear protection if that what you are concern about. Just mount it on a good solid bench and you should be okay. I suppose one could mount the mill on rubber pads but I never heard of any one doing that.

I'm not sure if I understand the question, but I'll give it my best shot. I have a LMS 3960 that has been modified using a counter weight instead of the spring, otherwise it's the same machine. These machines are pretty quiet since they are belt driven instead of gears. The motor is a brushless DC which makes it a little quieter than a brush DC. I never needed ear protection if that what you are concern about. Just mount it on a good solid bench and you should be okay. I suppose one could mount the mill on rubber pads but I never heard of any one doing that.

Mostly curious about the effective sound dampening EG might have considering I live in a multi story apartment complex or any other tips to deal with that problem. Already figuring out dimensions of travel to build an enclosure that would still allow me to manually operate.

These mills, 3990.3960 are fairly quiet machines even running at higher RPMs, I would build a small enclosure or barrier around the machine and make that sound proof before doing anything else, there are a few tips on soundproofing compressors, google "soundproofing a noisy compressor" and see what materials are available ,it might be the same type of procedure for your mini mill.
Here's one I just found:

Can you hear the neighbors when they play music or use the vacuum cleaner? . The mill it self does not make a lot of noise. It is just when is cutting some thing and it's not bad. Maybe placing the bench on a rubber pad will help.

Hi and welcome :)

I'd suggest talking with your immediate neighbors to see what they think. There may be times when they aren't home or wouldn't be bothered, or you might have someone who would be annoyed with a sewing machine.

Most places have quiet hours and if you're working outside of those you should be fine but if you live next to a whiner you might not be able to do anything that will make them happy.

You might also want to clear it with the landlord and make sure you won't be violating your lease, it would stink to buy a new machine only to find out you can't use it.

I've done some research on epoxy granite and I don't think it will do that much for sound.

John

my small shop vac makes more noise than my 3990, for an apartment a very solid stand or bench so nothing vibrates.. if its backed up to an adjoining wall some sound absorbing material mounted there might be in order..

Some thoughts.

Can you set it up on an outside wall so there is no neighbor sitting 2 feet away form it on the other side of the wall? Next choice would be against a wall where the other ssside is still in your appartment. Worst place is any wall that can have people on the other side of it.

Make sure the machine has no solid connection to the structure of the building. You need rubber or some other dampening material either between the machine and the bench, or between the bench and the floor, do not have either touching the wall. This will prevent vibrations from being transmitted into the structure of the building which can let them travel a long ways.

Use the ideas above for a sound box around the machine.

Adding mass in the form of epoxy granite will change the frequencies transmitted through the machine. This will change the hum transmitted to the floor, as will adding isolation. The thing is, this particular noise is not likely to bother your neighbors, and if it does, it won't have the sound power to reach 85 dB at your neighbor's property line. The noise that will exceed that sound level is the high frequency noise from the cutting tool doing its work. The best way to stop high frequency noise is with heavy insulation in the walls and thick sheeting. You could set up your shop like a band practice room and nail carpet remnants all over the walls... if it came down to it.

You could use a smartphone based sound level meter set for data logging, and set it on your fence line. Do some of your noisy work, and see if you actually reach a statutory noise limit. My money's on no. At least when the cops come you'll be able to confuse and baffle them with empirical data. If they come in hot, have some coffee and donuts on standby to remind them that they're not in Kenosha.

Adding mass in the form of epoxy granite will change the frequencies transmitted through the machine. This will change the hum transmitted to the floor, as will adding isolation. The thing is, this particular noise is not likely to bother your neighbors, and if it does, it won't have the sound power to reach 85 dB at your neighbor's property line. The noise that will exceed that sound level is the high frequency noise from the cutting tool doing its work. The best way to stop high frequency noise is with heavy insulation in the walls and thick sheeting. You could set up your shop like a band practice room and nail carpet remnants all over the walls... if it came down to it.

You could use a smartphone based sound level meter set for data logging, and set it on your fence line. Do some of your noisy work, and see if you actually reach a statutory noise limit. My money's on no. At least when the cops come you'll be able to confuse and baffle them with empirical data. If they come in hot, have some coffee and donuts on standby to remind them that they're not in Kenosha.

Except this is in an apartment on the 3rd floor of an apartment building The neighbors are just one wall, ceiling and floor thickness away. I agree that in a house this would not be an issue. As is it may or may not be an issue, a lot depends on how the walls, floors and ceilings between the units are built, and that is hard to tell even if you are living there. The only clue is, how much do you hear of what your neighbors are doing. If you cant hear them then odds are they can't hear you.

Back