Epoxy Granite and the Mini Mill

Would perlite or vermiculite help in sound deadening?
Both of those probably would want to float on the epoxy, and also would be impossible to de-air (if that even makes a difference in this kind of application). Before trying that, I'd do a test run on something I don't care about, like a length of ABS tubing. To reduce the amount of epoxy needed, use a smaller-diameter and shorter piece of tubing. A test run to figure out how to mix it all up wouldn't be a bad thing, regardless of what kind of composite you decide to make.

Both of those probably would want to float on the epoxy, and also would be impossible to de-air (if that even makes a difference in this kind of application). Before trying that, I'd do a test run on something I don't care about, like a length of ABS tubing. To reduce the amount of epoxy needed, use a smaller-diameter and shorter piece of tubing. A test run to figure out how to mix it all up wouldn't be a bad thing, regardless of what kind of composite you decide to make.
You may be right. It was just an idea, one would have to test it and see if it will work. I know that perlite or vermiculite is added to concrete to make it lighter. Epoxy, being of a different consistency may not work, I just don't know.

You may be right. It was just an idea, one would have to test it and see if it will work. I know that perlite or vermiculite is added to concrete to make it lighter. Epoxy, being of a different consistency may not work, I just don't know.
I'd forgotten that they're used as a concrete additive. It's even denser than epoxy so perlite/vermiculite might be OK for a composite. Still, an experiment or two would be advisable.

Back