ER 32 Collet Chuck

Scruffer

Registered
Registered
Another newbie question. I have an older LeBlond lathe that has a LO spindle. I do have a 3 & 4 jaw chuck for the lathe. I also have a Bridgeport J head mill. I am thinking of getting ER 32 collets so I can use them both on the lathe and mill. However, I am not sure if I can even get an ER collet chuck for my lathe. Options?

What is the inner taper of your lathe spindle? Is it Morse? There are Morse to ER chucks available.
However if you wanted to pass stock all the way through I'm not sure what is available
for an LO spindle nose- perhaps an LO backplate plus a flatback ER collet chuck? Some machining
obviously would be required

There are flange mount ER collet chucks available. You just need to make a backplate to adapt one to your lathe.

Unless (and even if you do) already have ER32 collets for your mill, I’d recommend getting ER40 for the additional capacity - every additional mm of capacity will help one day.

And I second getting a flange mount so you can hold longer stock.

Thanks everyone. I am taking the advice and going with the flange collet chuck (ER 40) and using a backplate for my lathe (LO spindle). ER 40 collets also. My project right now is fabricating 1.000" OD x 4.000" AL 6061 round bar. Threaded on both ends 1/2 - 13 UNC 1" depth. Also doing the same with .750" & .375 round bar. 1/4 - 20 UNC & 10-32 threads accordingly. 50 pieces for each.

Attached is an example of a ER32 chuck mounted to a modified commercial L00 backplate for use on my Clausing.
If you use a registering flange arrangement, leave a couple of thousands clearance, and once mounted you can pump it around to get the last bit of runout out. The tapered spindles seem to introduce about .001 of possible runout when remounting things.

Attachments

• ER32_collet_chuck_L00.jpg
    ER32_collet_chuck_L00.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 13
Did not know what an L0 was…or all those at all… Do take and share photos along the way. Would love to see what it actually looks like.

71DC4148-DAC0-4F9D-9503-11607D2C6378.jpeg

Found a video of this… L00, but now I get how it works…

Carry on! Back to normal programming

Attached is an example of a ER32 chuck mounted to a modified commercial L00 backplate for use on my Clausing.
If you use a registering flange arrangement, leave a couple of thousands clearance, and once mounted you can pump it around to get the last bit of runout out. The tapered spindles seem to introduce about .001 of possible runout when remounting things.
Great pic. Since my spindle is L-0, I probably need to use the larger flange mounted collet chuck (3901-5038) for the ER 40. The supplier looks to be HHiP. Amazon has it. It comes with the wrench. So, my next newbie question, can I use a low friction nut on the collet chuck? Are the threads standard? Thks

Back