Er 32 collet set and milling chuck questions

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
Happy New Years Eve!

I want to get an ER collet chuck for a milling machine that is coming my way. Seems like ER32 will have enough range for my needs. I saw a video and can’t find it now of a combination set of metric and standard collets that covered the full range. Any recommendations of how to piece together this hybrid set of collets? I will also be getting a drill chuck so the lower end of the ER collet set doesn’t have to go down too small.

What are your thoughts on the Techniks brand? They make a variety of ER32 collet chucks and ER32 collets. They make a milling chuck that seems like it would be quite good for end mills. Glacern has a similar milling chuck. I wonder who makes them and who is rebranding them. Maritool is another option and they seem to have good quality tooling according to some youtubers.

The milling machine will be a NT40 taper. I will be modifying the drive keys and getting a longer drawbar of this NT40 machine so that it will accept CAT40 tooling.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I really like my Techniks ER40 set. They are very accurate and easy to use. I have not used their chucks, but I have no reason to doubt them.

You might consider getting a 1mm spaced metric set. As I understand it, that covers everything as they are able to hold up to 1mm smaller than the spec size. Which also covers any imperial sized needs. I'm not sure that is also the case with ER32 but a quick Google implies that it is.

ER collets generally have a 1mm range, so that either a metric set in 1mm increments or a fractional set in 1/32" increments covers all possible sizes. Pick whichever one you use most often.

Techniks, Glacern, and Maritool are all reputable vendors. I have Maritool ER collets and am satisfied with them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I really like my Techniks ER40 set. They are very accurate and easy to use. I have not used their chucks, but I have no reason to doubt them.

You might consider getting a 1mm spaced metric set. As I understand it, that covers everything as they are able to hold up to 1mm smaller than the spec size. Which also covers any imperial sized needs. I'm not sure that is also the case with ER32 but a quick Google implies that it is.

Good to know that Techniks is good quality. Not that it matters but are they USA made?

If it not too much to ask, Why did you choose to go ER 40 vs 32? What size machine do you have? Do you use end mills in these collets? Thanks

ER collets generally have a 1mm range, so that either a metric set in 1mm increments or a fractional set in 1/32" increments covers all possible sizes. Pick whichever one you use most often.

Techniks, Glacern, and Maritool are all reputable vendors. I have Maritool ER collets and am satisfied with them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

What sizes did you go with for the ER collets? Do you endmills in these collets? Thanks

Good to know that Techniks is good quality. Not that it matters but are they USA made?

If it not too much to ask, Why did you choose to go ER 40 vs 32? What size machine do you have? Do you use end mills in these collets? Thanks

I went with ER40 as I have a 1.5" spindle bore on my lathe and wanted to be able to use as much as possible. They also seem well sized for my Bridgeport.

I'm not sure where they are manufactured.

I picked up a 13 pc ER40 set of Techniks from All Industrial for $148.00 They are normally about $250.00 I think the sale ends tomorrow.

Last edited:
Techniks collets are made in Taiwan. They are very good collets that are competitively priced and are among the best collets made.

If you're going to use them in the mill, either the Imperial or Metric set will work. Much is made of coverage but unless you are using primarily metric tooling, get the Imperial set. ER collets clamp best at the nominal size they are made for.

I think you should use the ER size appropriate to the tooling you plan to use on your mill. I mean that an ER-32 system goes up to 3/4", while an ER-40 goes up to 1". Smaller mills can't usually handle cutters of 1" so an ER-32 system would be sufficient. Either system will work; I have both. However, the ER-32 is used the most on my smaller mill and is cheaper.

As for brands, the best collets are probably made by Rego-Fix, followed by ETM, Techniks, Lyndex and others. For tool holding on the mill, I highly recommend you spend the money for a good set of ER collets because accuracy here matters. I use ETM ER-40 collets and Techniks ER-32 collets.

If you want to use them for work holding on the lathe, get a cheap import set for that.

Many makers have good chucks. Rego-Fix is one of the top tier brands. ETM is made in Israel and is also top shelf. Glacern supposedly is very good; parts made in China but machined and finished here in the US. Lyndex and many others make good chucks, too. At the bottom are the Chinese clones and those should be your last choice unless you are strapped for cash.

If you opt for a lesser brand of chuck then at least buy a really good nut from one of the premier brands because it makes a difference.

Back