ER Collet Chuck Kit

KyleG

Registered
Registered
Somewhere along the way, I ran across a company selling ER Collet chuck kits for threaded spindles. They came with a nut and a blank for the chuck body in various stages of completion. They were available as raw stock, either end complete, or both ends complete.

The problem is, I can't find their website again. Does anyone know of the company? I'd like to make an ER-40 chuck for my Logan. I could do it from scratch, but I'd like to give that outfit a second look at least.

Thanks!

The other possible approach is to buy a collet chuck and backplate. I bought mine from
Shars with some trepidation, but it's an adjust-true chuck and it's worked out fine. I bought
a semi-finished backplate and machined it to suit.

IMG_1618.jpeg

Somewhere along the way, I ran across a company selling ER Collet chuck kits for threaded spindles. They came with a nut and a blank for the chuck body in various stages of completion. They were available as raw stock, either end complete, or both ends complete.

The problem is, I can't find their website again. Does anyone know of the company? I'd like to make an ER-40 chuck for my Logan. I could do it from scratch, but I'd like to give that outfit a second look at least.

Thanks!
I bought an HHIP threaded backplate and an HHIP 100mm ER40 chuck five years ago and fit them to my Logan, and probably use the chuck more than any of my others. I had to wire brush and lap the backplate threads. A Cratex wheel in a Dremel or die grinder would work, too. Once it was threading on nicely I faced it and turned the spigot to fit the chuck, and wound up with just a couple of tenths TIR. A decent set of collets is in the same ballpark. If you leave just a whisper of clearance when you fit the chuck you can tap it in like the Shars Zero Set. The backplate was the very first thing I turned on the Logan, and like I said, I probably use it more than anything else.

-Jon

I bought the Beall collet chuck for my Logan 820 a couple of years ago, use it almost exclusively. It's made for ER-32. No extra backing plate needed, screws right on to spindle threads. TIR negligible and probably not caused by the chuck itself. Available from the Beall company, think it was <$100 if you already have collets.

I made mine from scratch. Not hard to do and it will be perfectly aligned with your lathe. Halligan142 has a video on how to make one including how to figure out what gears you need to cut the 1.50mm thread.

Made mine from scratch, the most difficult part was the M39x4mm thread.
It aint perfect but tir of 0.00125" is way better than my 3 jaw

Back