ER32 Collet Chuck 1 1/2 x 8

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I have been searching but with no luck. Does anyone sell a ER32 collet chuck with 1 1/2" x 8 for direct mount onto my lathe spindle?

Also not exactly what you're r asking for: This is a $35 backplate and a $45 dollar plain back collet chuck. You can pay $210 dollars to get them with wrench and already assembled. I machined the backplate as is the common way. I stuck through bolts in it, but it could be done more nicely with transfer screws. Anyhow if you want to try it this way, I'll search out the links. I wish I'd bought it a long time ago.
There is this too: Which is exactly what you're asking for. https://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php

Attachments

• FBD47F62-942E-496A-A782-4ED0B25523FC.jpeg
    FBD47F62-942E-496A-A782-4ED0B25523FC.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 15
  • A1D39B21-6F85-4A58-8B95-C4B56EFBE3BA.jpeg
    A1D39B21-6F85-4A58-8B95-C4B56EFBE3BA.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 15
I searched several years ago and could not fine one. I made my own. I am very pleased with it - I use it more than my 3 and 4-jaw chucks. It is an ER40, but same idea.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The reason I was looking for a er32 chuck is because I have complete sets both imperial and metric. I have no 5C now. Maybe the Beall will be the ticket. I'll check it out

I recently acquired one (well used) from eBay. It turned out to be not exactly ER-32. Just a whisker oversized, or maybe the collets I tried were a fuzz undersized. I think I can trim off the front and make it work. The taper is correct, the collet sits too deep is all. I haven't found any markings on it, brand or otherwise. But it came (supposedly) off a Craftsman/Atlas 12 inch machine, which I have. (1-1/2x8 nose)

I had asked about the collets here, not knowing the proper terminology. There were many replies, mostly suggesting possible alternative collets. A few agreeing with my idea of reducing the nose a few thou so it would tighten. It is common with Sears parts to be a whisker different than 'standard' so you have to go to Sears for parts. That leads me to think it may well be a Craftsman part. There are no other collets, within the knowledge base here, that come close.

The cost was reasonable, far less than $100, even with shipping. But seems to be a rare animal. I scan eBay regularly for 'unusual' tooling, usually every couple of days. In several years of this, I've only seen the one. So grabbed it. . . Since my last stroke, the one that put me in a wheelchair, I have developed a few allergies. Cold, Pain, that sort of thing. Getting old wouldn't have anything to do with it, I'm sure. In any case, I'm waiting for the weather to warm(>80F) up so I can get into the shop to try the collectively agreed on modification. I live in the 'Deep South" so it shouldn't be much longer.

Yes I’m wanting to use this on my SB10k. I have thought about the MT3 chuck but there are times I have longer thin stock that I don’t want the overhang. With the MT3 chuck and drawbar you cannot pass stock through it. I’m still searching.

Back