ER32 in the 4 jaw

The brass tips have 5/16 studs leading to a 3/8 shoulder. They were pressed into the bolts and then machined true. I don't know if epoxy would hold.
Ah, neat! Thanks for the details! My initial plan was to thread them and tap the bolt, but pressing them into the bolts seems like a better solution! My other thought was to use brass bolts, but that seems expensive.

Nice work!
I’d be terrified of those bolts spinning around though.
I hear that! The brass tipped bolts are too long for this small fixture but I need that length for the larger fixture and didn't feel like making a whole nuther set of bolts. I'm not too worried because they're spinning close to the jaws that I have to avoid anyway. I saw a guy that painted his jaws orange so he could see them, maybe I'll do the same with the bolts. Thx 4 da hedzup!

I hear that! The brass tipped bolts are too long for this small fixture but I need that length for the larger fixture and didn't feel like making a whole nuther set of bolts. I'm not too worried because they're spinning close to the jaws that I have to avoid anyway. I saw a guy that painted his jaws orange so he could see them, maybe I'll do the same with the bolts. Thx 4 da hedzup!
Thanks mate!

You can hold in the brass tips with a little red Loctite. Interesting approach to the alignment issues sometimes seen. Was there consideration of something like the Shar's ER-40 set-tru style chuck? I often do very close in work to the chuck and prefer to use a collet system with nothing to catch my fingers/hands. I previously tried an ER-40 collet in my 4J but not really happy with that setup so made my own Set-True ER-40 chuck.

You can hold in the brass tips with a little red Loctite. Interesting approach to the alignment issues sometimes seen. Was there consideration of something like the Shar's ER-40 set-tru style chuck? I often do very close in work to the chuck and prefer to use a collet system with nothing to catch my fingers/hands. I previously tried an ER-40 collet in my 4J but not really happy with that setup so made my own Set-True ER-40 chuck.
As far as I know, that collet chuck can be adjusted radially but not axially. I see various solutions to this problem that are really expensive but that's not for me. I'm not a machinist. I'm not even a hobby machinist. I build rifles and Radio controlled planes. I repair and modify my trucks and boat as required. I'm a guy that builds stuff and fixes stuff. I make tools and parts to build stuff and fix stuff. This is why I have my machines and I try to make whatever I need rather than spending a pile of money. The ER32 chuck cost $20 and the hunk of aluminum was free.

Back