ER40 collet chuck wrench

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
I am getting a Techniks Cat40 ER40 collet chuck that will come with a wrench. I have CAT40 tightening fixture but need a wrench that will have a square hole for a 3/8 or 1/2 torque wrench. 140#ft seems like the recommended torque for Er 40 collet chucks.

AVE had a video of a short splined wrench with a square hole and he used what looked like a standard torque wrench. The video was on the Haas and making vise jaws.

Does anyone know of such a wrench?

Thanks in advance for the help.

CNCtoolholderstore.com has some

I've thought about buying another ER-40 wrench, cutting off the handle and welding a 1/2" socket to it to make one like your second link,Will. I might move forward with that in the near future.

I've thought about buying another ER-40 wrench, cutting off the handle and welding a 1/2" socket to it to make one like your second link,Will. I might move forward with that in the near future.

That certainly would be a muuuuch cheaper solution. I don't bother using a torque wrench on my ER-40 or ER-16 stuff. I'm just running them in a manual mill for hobby stuff. I've never had a problem with slipping. If I was running a CNC machining center running high speeds & feeds then I would consider it.

I worked in a shop that ran screw machines and rotary transfer machines. and never used a torque wrench for er 40 tooling.

I wonder what effect there is on required torque if a ball bearing nut is used.

Here is what I found out from Frank Mari of Mari Tool. I bought their collet bearing nut and sent email 15 minutes ago and got back a quick reply!

Here is what they have on their FAQ section on their web page....

Back