ER40 Collets on a 13" South Bend Single with 1 7/8 8 TPI Spindle?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Has anyone figured out a way to adapt their early Single gear box,13" South Bend Lathe with a 1 7/8 and 8TPI?
I would like to use ER40 Collets.
Bob Korves is working with me (thank you Bob) and I thought I would put this question out there for ideas. Bob thinks it's a MT4. If you have done this or know of a way, Please let me know!
Thank you.
Jeff

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

I only have an Atlas/Clausing MK2, but I made a mounting that would hold an ER40 collet . I bought a piece of 4140, threaded one end to screw on the spindle, machined the other end to be an ER40 holder.

I’m using 5c collets in my SB 10L but it has the larger spindle bore , I had Miller machine Shop make a mt3 adaptor for my spindle that can take my er40 mt3 chuck but haven’t tried it.

I'll contact Miller. I don't know if I have the skill level yet to make an adapter.

ER Collet Chucks are available for lathes, all you need then is a back plate, and to machine it to accept the chuck.
You get good through capacity that way

I'll contact Miller. I don't know if I have the skill level yet to make an adapter.

I think that you might enjoy the exercise. Why not give it a try. We can coach you along.

ER Collet Chucks are available for lathes, all you need then is a back plate, and to machine it to accept the chuck.
You get good through capacity that way

Yes that’s what I did on a Grizzly, find or machine a backplate then fit the ER collet chuck to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I made one for my King 10x22 , and if I can make one anyone can make one!!! There are plans and drawings available on " projects in metal " that are well drawn and explained through the entire operation. Some dimensions may need adjusting, but at worst it is a learning experience and an opportunity to be in the shop making chips, with the side benefit of satisfaction that every time you use it in the future knowing that you accomplished the job yourself. good luck and post pics along the way.

Has anyone figured out a way to adapt their early Single gear box,13" South Bend Lathe with a 1 7/8 and 8TPI?
I would like to use ER40 Collets.
Bob Korves is working with me (thank you Bob) and I thought I would put this question out there for ideas. Bob thinks it's a MT4. If you have done this or know of a way, Please let me know!
Thank you.
Jeff

I am in the the process of (slowly, oh so slowly) machining one to fit the spindle of my lathe, 1-7/16 12 TPI. I had considered one with a taper, but I didn't want to sacrifice the ability to chuck longer stock through the spindle and collet. In the interim, I have an ER40 block which I can chuck up when I need to use the collets (haven't actually used it that way yet). We will see how well it works when it's done (eventually).

I am in the the process of (slowly, oh so slowly) machining one to fit the spindle of my lathe, 1-7/16 12 TPI. I had considered one with a taper, but I didn't want to sacrifice the ability to chuck longer stock through the spindle and collet. In the interim, I have an ER40 block which I can chuck up when I need to use the collets (haven't actually used it that way yet). We will see how well it works when it's done (eventually).

How about some pics??

Back