Erl-1340

Yes, the ERL and RML are nice machines. I also looked at the 1440ET and the 1440TS when talking with Matt prior to purchasing my 1340GT. Both of them are from the same factory as the 1340GT with the same fit/finish and attention to detail. I just couldn't justify the extra cost for the minor gains over the 1340GT.

I used my lathe last night for the first time in about three weeks (been busy doing automotive repairs lately and no machining jobs have come in the shop), and I must say I have to grin to myself every time I use it. It just makes me smile to run that machine.:big grin:

Mike.

Starting to get itchy. Just had the electrician in yesterday to install power. Need to get a vfd.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Starting to get itchy. Just had the electrician in yesterday to install power. Need to get a vfd.

Have you looked around or priced them. When I was setting mine up Matt had as good of pricing as anyone and he sent me one earlier than the lathe so I could get it installed prior to the lathe showing up.

Mike.

Matt didn't mentioned that he sold them when I asked about them.

Looking at either Hitachi or Polyspede.

Matt sells the Hitachi WJ200, his price is as good as most other vendors. I guess the question is what machine you want to use the VFD on? The machine you ordered should have 16 speeds, so pretty much would not need a VFD. They also sell the lathe in a 2 speed 1340V which comes with a VFD if that is what you wanted? If you want to run the lathe 5Hp 3 phase motor off of single phase, it really limits your VFD choices and significantly increases the cost. Hitachi WJ200 (and most othe VFD makers) single phase units only goes to 3Hp, beyond that for some you can use the 3 phase model, but you probably need ~8-10Hp 3 phase VFD run using 2 legs for single phase input. I do not trust the eBay Chinese one that say 5Hp on single phase and they are often missing the braking unit. Polyspede if I recall does not run sensorless vector motor control, which gives a it more control over the motor and feedback to the VFD. Most people would probably use an RPC with this size motor with single phase in, especially if you have other machines that run 3 phase. Also to note is a 3 phase VFD can be run off of a RPC.

Yeah, looking at the 10HP Hitachi vs the 5HP Polyspede.

Reason I went with the 16 speed model, per Matt's suggestion, is that the factory overprices the variable speed version by at least $1k.

I'll never understand why they do that, 16 speeds with a vfd is better than 2 speeds with a vfd. It lets you keep the motor in a decent frequency range, and it give you a finer control of the rpms.

And the grand total for 16 speed lathe and vfd is about $1,000 cheaper than the 2 speed lathe with factory vfd. It's absurd.

Do you know what size motor this unit is coming with, as I have seen different motor options which include 3HP, two speed 2.5/5Hp and 5 Hp versions. There is a lot more to the VFD conversion then just adding a VFD as seen in their control panel, but then you will have a lot more gears which can optimize the sweet spot.
ERL1340VFD Control Box.jpg

Attachments

• erl1340.pdf
    858.6 KB · Views: 178
5HP

Back