ERL1340 Thread Cutting with a Proximity Stop System

Very cool. How come I do not see the ERL-1340 in PM's website?

I wondered that too. Ironically, I called them Friday to ask about the ERL specifically. A guy by the name of John answered the phone and I proceeded to ask him about the ERL series. His response... He had no idea. Never heard of them. He then went on to suggest the ELB series. I have purchased two machines from PM and love the service but that phone call was an utter waste of time.
Sorry for the highjack.

I had looked at the ERL-1340 about 10 years ago, couldn't justify the cost for a 1st lathe when I had zero experience with lathes. Went with a 1340GT for many years, it is a great lathe at the price point, and only thought of replacing it when we had to move 2 years ago. Since the ERL-1340 is a special order, you would need to speak to Matt on this one. I know of one other forum member that also ordered the ERL-1340 from QMT, and had seen some posts by others in a different forum. Not a lot around, it would be perfect with a 2" spindle bore, but then one would just get the 1440TL with a 2.5+" spindle bore. Also a comment on the motors, these models come with different motor options, if you are planning powering it with a VFD, go with the single speed motor, they also sell factory VFD versions with a 2 speed headstock.

Love my ERL 13x30 but if I could do it again and if I had the space I'd go with a 40" length and get the RML 1440V. Oh and also if my company hadn't ended OT.

So what is the ERL ? Who makes it? Whats the main difference between it and the PM machines?

Heavier machine, from what has been said. This is the "parent" company if I'm not mistaken.

Aukai is correct, Sunmaster makes the ERL/RML/TRL series although they recently revised their naming and models so the TRL is now the TC series. In addition, vendors can have specific models made for them. Several different US distributors carry the Sunmaster lathes in different configurations, the only one listed on the PM site that I am aware of would be the 1440/1460/1660TL series with the larger 2.55" bore of their manual lathe in this size range. There is always the possibility of special ordering a particular machine, but you may need to wait 4-6 months for delivery.

I checked out both videos that showed up, very cool to watch. :encourage:
Now I wish I had more money, or more room, but at my level the GT will take me to old(er) age well I hope:)

Back