Error proofing 220-volt

...I don’t think any 110 outlet is rated for 30A....
So-called "RV Outlets" are 30-amp 120VAC receptacles, NEMA designation TT-30R. These are three-prong (of course) but about twice the size of the usual 15 and 20-amp 120VAC receptacles.

Rick "would rather use a 20-amp 240VAC receptacle (two sideways blades plus ground) than a 30-amp RV plug if the voltage is selectable" Denney

This is how and why I managed the Bozo. The only part I left out is a picture of the male plug on the plasma cutter and a short 6-foot cord I made up with the male female plugs on each end. This cord was plugged into 110volts from the wall and the other end had been powering the power feed on the mill. Getting in a hurry I to plug the lathe into the 220-volt cord I plugged it into the 22o volt receptacle before unplugging it from the power feed unit. And POP GOES THE POWER FEED. Really another good lesson for me. Using sloppy practices never pays off . It will and has come full circle to bite me in the butt. Hope the video explains it.

I wish I could say I never did anything like that but I cannot. Good video great explanations.

So-called "RV Outlets" are 30-amp 120VAC receptacles, NEMA designation TT-30R. These are three-prong (of course) but about twice the size of the usual 15 and 20-amp 120VAC receptacles.

Rick "would rather use a 20-amp 240VAC receptacle (two sideways blades plus ground) than a 30-amp RV plug if the voltage is selectable" Denney
I was basing my response on a standard 110 outlet. What also needs to be consider with all these plug swaps is the breaker size and wire size.

I was basing my response on a standard 110 outlet. What also needs to be consider with all these plug swaps is the breaker size and wire size.
What I posted are NEMA Standards.... And yes, you do not design a piece of the system which was my point when we started this misadventure.

Assumptions are what gets us in trouble, not all American 220V have 3 prong plugs, some require a ground back to the box which means they are 4 prong and there are 110/120v 30AMP plugs and although they are seen mostly in RV's they do exist in other places.

As I have said many times before, having and Ugly's Electrical book or its now available in an app is a good thing as it will tell you all about this stuff.

120V should only allow 120V
240V should only allow 240V

In my shop for standard outlets, ran EMT with 2 gang box with two receptacles every 8 feet. Circuits breakers are 20A double pole. Left receptacle is L1 and right is L2. This has worked out very well for me. AHJ had suggested running dedicated neutrals for each leg. Only problem was receptacle GFI would go bad. Solved by going with GFI double pole breakers.

Later on when I converted my Clausing 100 from 120V to VFD 240V used 2 gang box with a locking 240V 20A receptacle. The receptacle is connected to two 12AWG cords the 120V 20A plugs which one cord plugs into left L1 and the other plugs into right L2 wall receptacle.

It may not be 100% kosher but it seems to eliminate the problem and the temptation using wrong receptacles. Ran dedicated circuits for my compressor and welder outlets.

Bob G.

I have 220 and 110 in my shop. The outlets (and plugs) are very specific. There is zero chance of mixing it up.

I am not sure how anyone could go through the time and effort of wiring something without verifying the correct plugs and receptacles. Cripes.

I have 220 and 110 in my shop. The outlets (and plugs) are very specific. There is zero chance of mixing it up.

I am not sure how anyone could go through the time and effort of wiring something without verifying the correct plugs and receptacles. Cripes.
I worked as an Ironworker for a moment when I was young.
Jobsite power was variable. Some sites used 460V, others used 230v.
Very often 230v 3phase wired PowCon welders were supplied with 460v to a brilliant sparking and smoke demise .
I was able to fix a dozen by swapping bad boards out, but it usually wasn’t a pretty sight .
Management green lit a proposal of marking the repaired as well as all other welders In service, as to the voltage required for operation.

Back