Ever seen a chuck like this?

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
Check out the pic, is this a modded chuck, or special purpose?

P1000535.jpg

No, I can't say that I've seen one like that. Looks to be a special purpose. The jaw depth seems more than a normal 3 jaw.

Yup, it was years ago in an outboard motor shop. They used it to hold three bladed props to work on the bores. Never did see it in action.

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill,
I thought I had seen one similar somewhere, just couldn't remember where. The Prop Shop was a place here on the West coast of Fla where I saw one kind of similar. The used it to rebroach the shaft hole through the hubs I think. I was a kid in a candy shop when we went through the place so I dont remember a lot of the really cool tools I saw in there. It was definately an "Old School" shop. Well worn fixtures and equipment, with pristine machine tools and a clean room for engine builds. Wish dad had gone ahead and bought that one now... Oh well, thats another story for another day.
Bob

Thanks Bill

It sure had me wondering about that chuck, Ive never seen one like that thing , ever.

:nuts:

The blades fit into the three pockets so that the whole hub could be chucked up. If it is for rebroaching this type of hold would be essential.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Good call, Bill. I've been asked to do a little work on props, but never wanted to build up a set of special jaws to accomplish what that chuck does. It makes sense that there is a factory chuck for the job. There was a little watersports shop here that used to send me lots of shafts from PWC's to straighten, and along with them a few props to fix, polish, broach new keyways, etc. Always made good money, because no one else wanted to mess with it, I guess. I never thought it was too difficult. They went out of business, so the gravy dried up.

I've got a 6 1/2" one in great shape with both sets of jaws. What I was told, its called a pullback chuck, as the jaws move back as it's tightened up, the thing runs true, holds very well, and was free, given to me by a friend, instead of being tossed out during a plant cleanup. One machinist I know said these are a very high-end chuck. The tag says: Chas. Taylor [Birm]Ltd.
Taylor Chuck
Made in England

Last edited:
I got a chuck just like it when I bought a 10 inch Atlas lathe last year. Mine is a Taylor also, made in England. Couldn't figure what it was for until I saw this post.

Back