Every which way the wind blows project.

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Yesterday I ordered a wind sock so this morning with the rain falling was a good time to make
a frame to hold it. I found some ball bearing races with a 3/4 inside hole so that was the basis
for what other parts I might need. It's Saturday so had to rely on my junk iron to come up with
what I needed. The ring was made from a piece of 3/8 steel rod bent around my 12 inch lathe
chuck. That was pretty close so a little more tweaking in the vise and it was ready to weld up.
I found a piece of 3/4 diameter rod from the steering wheel of an old Toro lawn tractor so used
that to fit inside the bearings. I did a little gas welding and stick welding and even a little tigging
to build it. Above the bearing I made a large washer to keep the rains out of the bearings. Now
I need to see what I have for support pipe and maybe a piece of 25G Rohn tower section and
plant it in the ground. Here are several photos of the morning's work:P1030199.JPGP1030202.JPGP1030203.JPG

The wind sock is 18 inches in diameter so used Pi (3.14159) x 18 to make the 18 inch diameter ring.

Windsocks are great, at a glance you get wind speed, wind direction, and visibility. Nice job Cathead.

Seemingly somewhat sheltered, I decided to raise the sock up another 10 feet. There hasn't been enough
wind lately to see it stick out horizontally. It took an hour to disassemble the existing mast and install another
10 foot section on the bottom and then reassemble everything. It's at about the 25 foot level now.:)

P1030215.JPG
If you look closely at the photos, there must be several flecks of dirt on the camera lens...:rolleyes:

Back