EX-Cell-O Carbide Grinder

dwall174

Registered
Registered
About 8 months ago I picked up a 6" EX-Cell-O Carbide Grinder from a local shop that was going out of business!
IMG_5951.JPGIMG_5952.JPG
I currently don't have the need to grind or sharpen carbide, But for the price I couldn't pass it up!

I disassembled the grinder & worked a little bit at a time on cleaning everything up!
IMG_6060.JPGIMG_6092.JPG

I finally got it all cleaned up repainted & reassembled.
IMG_6869.JPGIMG_6879.JPG

Now that it's all cleaned up & reassembled I'm trying to figure out what to do with it?
I originally thought about just selling it! But after seeing how smoothly it runs, I'm thinking I'll probably just keep it & change the diamond & green silicon carbide wheels to ones designed for HSS.

The table on the righthand side has some type of micro adjusters on both sides of the wheel?
IMG_6811 Close Up.jpgIMG_6818.JPG
The dials are graduated in .0125" increments, .025" per revolution of the dial. There was probably some sort of fixture or jig that worked with the dial adjusters, But naturally that part was MIA.

I'm thinking that it would be fairly easy to make a angled jig or fixture that would ride in the miter slot & work for sharping drill bits.

Doug

Great job. It’s so n
About 8 months ago I picked up a 6" EX-Cell-O Carbide Grinder from a local shop that was going out of business!
View attachment 340988View attachment 340989
I currently don't have the need to grind or sharpen carbide, But for the price I couldn't pass it up!

I disassembled the grinder & worked a little bit at a time on cleaning everything up!
View attachment 341005View attachment 341010

I finally got it all cleaned up repainted & reassembled.
View attachment 341011View attachment 341013

Now that it's all cleaned up & reassembled I'm trying to figure out what to do with it?
I originally thought about just selling it! But after seeing how smoothly it runs, I'm thinking I'll probably just keep it & change the diamond & green silicon carbide wheels to ones designed for HSS.

The table on the righthand side has some type of micro adjusters on both sides of the wheel?
View attachment 341014View attachment 341015
The dials are graduated in .0125" increments, .025" per revolution of the dial. There was probably some sort of fixture or jig that worked with the dial adjusters, But naturally that part was MIA.

I'm thinking that it would be fairly easy to make a angled jig or fixture that would ride in the miter slot & work for sharping drill bits.

Doug

Great job Doug. It’s so nice to see older machines, often somewhat neglected, returned to good condition and looking really sharp. You”lol find a bunch of uses fir it I’m sure.

I like it. If you decide to sell it let me know. It would go great with my Excello mill.

I still haven't found any information on the right-hand side table with the micro adjusters?
Here's a few more pictures of the table including the bottom side of the table which shows that it's a casting, So I don't believe it was a shop made item. The recessed areas of the head's casting where the dials fit when at 90 degrees also look like they were cast into the head.

IMG_6777.JPGIMG_7022.JPGIMG_7025.JPGIMG_7028.JPGIMG_7043.JPGIMG_7039.JPGIMG_7035.JPGIMG_7037.JPGIMG_7027.JPG

If anyone has a idea of how these adjusting dials would have worked with this table, Please let me know!

Doug

I really like mine.

The diamond wheels are amazing for brazed carbide. I don't sweat it for gentle touch up work on HSS. I also use the diamond wheel that came with it (pretty coarse, severely dished) for shaping bench stones (a curved stone can be quite handy).

I have discovered that these are a very good machine. Preferable to the classic Baldor 500 because of the larger table and larger flat faced wheel.

I really like mine.

I have discovered that these are a very good machine. Preferable to the classic Baldor 500 because of the larger table and larger flat faced wheel.
Yeah, they're a lot heavier & the spindles are built more like a surface grinder!
The spindle on the one I had (sold it) looked like it had been replaced at one point & the replacement spindle was a sealed unit like in a surface grinder.
Grease Packed.jpg
IMG_6103.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

From what I found out while looking up information on Ex-Cell-O bearings in general, they used expensive "High Precision' angular contact bearings in their spindles.

Doug

Last edited:
Back