Excellent Titanic documentary that focuses on the bravery of the crew below deck

martik777

Active User
Registered
"Saving the Titanic" is the poignant story of the Titanic’s engineers, stokers and firemen in the face of death. Based upon eye-witness accounts, this lavish docu-drama reveals for the first time the bravery of nine central characters as they fought to hold back the sea and keep the power systems running, even when they knew that all was lost. Most of these men died – but their actions saved many."

I am somewhat of a WWII history guy. I have a bookshelf full of WWII books. I have since switched to Audible so I can listen to books in the car or when I am in the shop, although shop listening is relegated to only when doing non-critical tasks.
Currently listening to "The Last of the Tin Can Sailors". I am at the point in the book where Taffy 3 is just starting to come under intense Japanese bombardment from their battle group.

I have watched many WWII naval documentaries. The bravery displayed by the sailors that worked below decks, and kept their part of the ships going, with no idea of what is going on outside the ship, is nothing but amazing. As an Army leader, Commander, and many other positions, the one quote from a NCO that served in Vietnam, always stuck in my mind. Most of the awards are written up and recieved by people in the rear, where they have time to do the paperwork, while most of the rear heroes are in the front too busy staying alive to worry about paperwork. Of course, that was with an Army bias. I think the same applies to those below decks, and on smaller vessels in the Navy.

I am somewhat of a WWII history guy. I have a bookshelf full of WWII books. I have since switched to Audible so I can listen to books in the car or when I am in the shop, although shop listening is relegated to only when doing non-critical tasks.
Currently listening to "The Last of the Tin Can Sailors". I am at the point in the book where Taffy 3 is just starting to come under intense Japanese bombardment from their battle group.
Check out the hell of the Battle of Peleliu - completely unnecessary with one of the highest casualty rates of the Pacific war

Back