Excessive table crank backlash?

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up an older Wilton 2550 20in floor standing drill press (and a cheapie vise) a couple years back for a $100 (I'm still tickled). Pics below. It had no arc of shame, and the only attention it required was to re-engage the belt tensioning mechanism (I replaced the belts while I was in there). It was extra grimy (remedied at the car wash) but the only sign it had been used at all was the lettering on the switches was worn. Jet still sells their J-2550 version for some $1700. I notice other drill presses on the web are quite similar, such as HF's biggest one.

The table lift works fine but I've noticed the table crank has almost a half-turn backlash. The rack seems to be in good shape. I don't have anything to reference this to, as to whether this is normal, or would be improved with replacement parts. My other drill press has a 3rd party chain-crank system add-on, no comparison.

The Wilton replacement parts are apparently still available from E-parts. I'm debating on whether to spend the $50 on the chance they will improve operation. But would like to get some opinions on whether this back lash is typical.

Advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• Wilton_drill_press1.jpg
    Wilton_drill_press1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Wilton_drill_press2.jpg
    Wilton_drill_press2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Wilton_drill_press3.jpg
    Wilton_drill_press3.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Wilton_drill_press4.jpg
    Wilton_drill_press4.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Wilton_drill_press5.jpg
    Wilton_drill_press5.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Wilton_drill_press6.jpg
    Wilton_drill_press6.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Most lift tables are a compromise at best mostly because of the moment hanging out there which has a tendency
to make cranking the table difficult up unless one assists lifting on the front of the table while cranking. I set mine at about
a foot + over the table and have several heights of cylindrical material with a board on top of it so that I can adjust to a good
height to drill. One advantage is that moving the table up and down is seldom necessary and the other thing is
that it is impossible to drill on the table that way. For me, as long as the table stays where it is set, it works fine for
what it is. It wouldn't hurt to look at your crank assembly and rack to see what shape it's in.

I would say to answer your question that a half turn of backlash is typical.

Last edited:
I picked up an older Wilton 2550 20in floor standing drill press (and a cheapie vise) a couple years back for a $100 (I'm still tickled). Pics below. It had no arc of shame, and the only attention it required was to re-engage the belt tensioning mechanism (I replaced the belts while I was in there). It was extra grimy (remedied at the car wash) but the only sign it had been used at all was the lettering on the switches was worn. Jet still sells their J-2550 version for some $1700. I notice other drill presses on the web are quite similar, such as HF's biggest one.

The table lift works fine but I've noticed the table crank has almost a half-turn backlash. I don't have anything to reference this to, as to whether this is normal, or would be improved with replacement parts. My other drill press has a 3rd party chain-crank system add-on, no comparison.

The Wilton replacement parts are apparently still available from E-parts. I'm debating on whether to spend the $50 on the chance they will improve operation. But would like to get some opinions on whether this back lash is typical.

Advice gratefully received.
Ignore it.. it's nothing. just make sure you grease the pinion's bearing surface or oil it... And put a light coat of grease on the pinion teeth. You don't want to attract swarf or saw dust to the rack...

Enjoy your DP..

BTW it would have been good to include pics of the lift mechanism.. Just sayin.

Ignore it.. it's nothing. just make sure you grease the pinion's bearing surface or oil it... And put a light coat of grease on the pinion teeth. You don't want to attract swarf or saw dust to the rack...

Enjoy your DP..

BTW it would have been good to include pics of the lift mechanism.. Just sayin.
Hi Woodchucker

Pic of the crank assembly added to the original post.

Notice the worm moves in and out when cranking up and down. Lock the table to the column and rotate the handle to get the worm screw extend all the way out. Loosen the setscrew and slide the handle in to take out the backlash, tighten setscrew. My Wilton does the same thing.

Notice the worm moves in and out when cranking up and down. Lock the table to the column and rotate the handle to get the worm screw extend all the way out. Loosen the setscrew and slide the handle in to take out the backlash, tighten setscrew. My Wilton does the same thing.
Thanks for the tip Firstram. I'll try your suggestion.

I found an animation on Youtube of the principle on which I think my table lift mechanism works.

Click directly on the text "Table lifting mechanism for upright drilling machine" or you may get a bunch of ads.

Last edited:
Back