[How-To] Expanding Mandrel vs Non Expanding Mandrel

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey folks..... time for the “dumb question of the day”. I have a set of Cleveland mandrels; 3/8 up to 1 1/2 thanks to eBay. I just watched a YouTube creator use an expanding mandrel to fixture a cylinder casting for a small steam engine. Having little to no real experience, and way too much equipment, I was wondering, what is the advantage to having an adjustable mandrel vs one that is a fixed dimension and do I need expanding mandrels? Had I needed to fixture a steam engine cylinder between centers, would what I have adequately solved the work holding problem.

Cheers, and as always, thanks!

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both types, solid and expanding mandrels and use both types; solid mandrels are fine for work that is closely nominally sized, but not for odd sizes, which are suited to expanding mandrels, also, of course there are shop made nut mandrels as well for work that does not need machining on the ends. The answer to your last question would depend on the fit of the cylinder on the mandrel; I have on occasion shimmed the mandrel fit with a piece of paper if the fit was too loose to drive the work.

Hey folks..... time for the “dumb question of the day”. I have a set of Cleveland mandrels; 3/8 up to 1 1/2 thanks to eBay. I just watched a YouTube creator use an expanding mandrel to fixture a cylinder casting for a small steam engine. Having little to no real experience, and way too much equipment, I was wondering, what is the advantage to having an adjustable mandrel vs one that is a fixed dimension and do I need expanding mandrels? Had I needed to fixture a steam engine cylinder between centers, would what I have adequately solved the work holding problem.

Cheers, and as always, thanks!

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Joe Pie is doing a better job than Quinn.

Joe Pie is doing a better job than Quinn.
Question is, what is he trying to prove? I quit watching him because of that steam engine thing. Quinn is a very intelligent beginner hobby Machinist, steam engine enthusiast and good video maker. It has been fun watching her improve her skills and the problems she has are akin to things that would happen to me. Joe is a "professional" and making steam engines seems kinda silly. When he did the same part that Quinn did and showed his approach (I can't understand why he didn't give her a shout-out or some kind mention to at least demonstrate some empathy for an inexperienced person who is learning). I assumed he was just born smarter than us. Sorry but that rather p@$$&d me off. Now he is doing the whole same kit in advance of her? Maybe my feelings are skewed by this and I do understand I may be missing something.

I felt the same way BUT I think he was in his way trying to help her out and she took it another way and I think she wrote him a dirty email and stopped him from watching her videos. This what I herd. I thought that is the version I read in the comments.

Question is, what is he trying to prove? I quit watching him because of that steam engine thing. Quinn is a very intelligent beginner hobby Machinist, steam engine enthusiast and good video maker. It has been fun watching her improve her skills and the problems she has are akin to things that would happen to me. Joe is a "professional" and making steam engines seems kinda silly. When he did the same part that Quinn did and showed his approach (I can't understand why he didn't give her a shout-out or some kind mention to at least demonstrate some empathy for an inexperienced person who is learning). I assumed he was just born smarter than us. Sorry but that rather p@$$&d me off. Now he is doing the whole same kit in advance of her? Maybe my feelings are skewed by this and I do understand I may be missing something.

It started before this. He's been taking thinly veiled potshots at her for a while, and she has no clue why. I quit watching him as well, which is kind of a shame as he is definitely a knowledgeable guy. Good machining skills does not excuse poor people skills.

I have to agree. Joe has an amazing arsenal of innovative ways to get the job done quickly and extremely accurately. But he seemed to be all too eager to point out how much better his approach was. That didn't sit right with me. You don't have to run somebody else down to show a better approach.

Craig

I don't know either personally, so I'm guessing like most people... I didn't get the idea he's really doing the build due to her. He did make a couple "here's another way to do setups". I guess I took it more as a helpful thought, it wasn't until some of the comments that I even considered it might be taken as a "taking pot shots at her". He even said that it's just another way, and complimented "the other builder" on creative approaches with limited machines/tooling. He never called her out by name or said anything I took as insulting.

Initially, he was just showing some ideas. A viewer gifted him the model kit and asked him to document his build. I assume it was someone that is interested in models and wanted to see his way as well. He makes puzzles and other stuff in his spare time, so why not a model? And if the point is "here's another way, and here's why I think it's better than some other options", it's tough to do that without sounding a little "high and mighty". I suspect that might be a reason he went to other parts the other builder had not done yet. But now it's "doing it in advance of her".

I figure there is always a way to look at things that can cause them to sound offensive, even when no offence was intended. It's even worse if you are dealing with writing, but even in person it can be easy to misunderstand. I try to give the benefit of the doubt. If nothing else, it keeps my blood pressure down.

And try not to discount how tough some technical people find people skills. I work in IT and have worked with a lot of people that really are trying, even if it doesn't seem like it to others. For some people, it can border on a disability. It shouldn't be an excuse to be a jerk, but a little understanding can go a long way.

Just tossing out a possible interpretation. At the end of the day, we all make our own decisions how to look at things. My view is no better than anyone else's.

To make a couple of points....

I hold Joe in very high regard. I think that he is one of the best “teachers” on Youtube. I enjoyed the video and to be honest thought it was well done as “another way to do it” approach up until the point when “WTF” appeared on the screen. When he did that the first thought that came to my mind was “Classless”. If he’d make such a comment about another “student”, especially one who shows their errors and is learning as they go, as I am, then what’s he saying about me, or any others who ask questions, or for advice, or for help?

I have of course heard rumours of the back and forth between both creators, and as far as I am concerned, I don’t care about rumour, and I think that they are both AMAZING creators. I am disappointed with Joe, and hope that he makes an apology to Quinn, that would be the right thing to do.

As far as the work holding goes though, my respect goes out to Quinn. I fly Boeings for a living, and think that I am fairly “sharp” when it comes to problem solving. When I looked at those drawings I wouldn’t have known that one end was to be the “master face” vs the other, let alone how to solve the problem when/if I machined the wrong end first. Or that the bolt holes were to be clocked specifically to miss the inlet ports.... because I am learning.

I am grateful for people like Andrew Whale, and Quinn because of their “we’re all in this together” approach. I seem to gravitate towards those creators whom I can relate to, who find themselves in situations that I will likely encounter; who offer well thought “fixes” that I might need and guidance around pitfalls that I might not, because of them, encounter. Creators who are humble, can laugh at themselves, and who are comfortable admitting that they make mistakes; people who are “real”.

What will be interesting to see is wether Joe steps back, offers an apology, and moves forward as the “respected teacher” that he has been to many of us, rather than the “classless bully” that he has, in my opinion, lowered himself to.

Time will tell. My respect to Quinn, and I hope that Joe will take the steps to move forward and try to regain the respect that he’s lost.

Just my 2 cents, and well off topic, but who doesn’t like a little drama, right? I was chatting with my closest “buddy” and he’s shown me how to overcome the need for expanding mandrels for the time being. Thanks to all who chimed in above though! I appreciate you all being there to answer my “dumb” questions. Good chat for sure.

Cheers all.

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for putting into words so very well what I started to feel about him too.

but who doesn’t like a little drama, right?

Me!
I used to enjoy Orange County Choppers (American Choppers) when it was about TIG welding, frame bending, water jets and bikes.
Then it turned into a "soap opera" with drama queens yelling and throwing things across the shop. Useless Crap!

I was chatting with my closest “buddy” and he’s shown me how to overcome the need for expanding mandrels for the time being. Thanks to all who chimed in above though! I appreciate you all being there to answer my “dumb” questions. Good chat for sure.

Is there a technique that you can share?

Thanks,
-brino

Back