• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Extended Jet Lathe Back Splash

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Bib Overalls

Iron
Registered Member
Several months ago I spotted some neat brackets on eBay that facilitated hanging Aloris type tool holders on a flat vertical surface. They were cheap so I bought some for the Aloris tool holders I use with my Jet 1040 lathe.

Once I had them in hand the question became "were to I put these gizmos?" My answer was a 1 foot tall extension to the factory back splash. I bent it up out of 16 gauge because it was available and free but 18 gauge should be fine. I had originally planed on making the braces at the end out of sheet metal but when I tried I couldn't make the necessary bends with the break I was using so I made then out of 1" square tubing and 1" angle iron. In the process I got a couple of near at hand places to store my chuck wrench and dial calipers.

The back splash was painted with Rustolium Canvas White. I got quart can from Home Depot. It was a special order. You can also order it in spray cans.

Also note the simple bracket I made out of a stainless steel scrap for the tail stock accessories.

Attachments

rgray

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I like that. Especially the reflection on the tailstock tools that makes it look like there are twice as many.

Silverbullet

Very nice job, looks like a special order accessory. Great to have a brake when needed. Storage is always premium in a shop even a home hobby. YUPP you did great , bet others may want one.

DAT510

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Nice. Can you share the eBay link for the brackets?

[6]
[5] [7]