Extension cord

areA b
Where I wish to use my PM 1228 I'm about 12' short from the power outlet. What gauge of wire do I need to do a 15-20' extension cord for 110v 20 amps? thank you.

Does your machine require a full 20 amps, or are you just using a 20 amp circuit? Breaker should only carry 80% of it's rated capacity as a continuous load. If your machine is actually drawing a full 20 amps it should be on a 30 amp circuit.

I did as Bill Gruby suggests. Rather than run extension cords all over the shop I put longer cords on the machines. In cases where it was feasible I rewired the machines for 220V and put in dedicated circuits. All the machine outlets (110 and 220) in the ceiling so there are no cords running across the floor. It makes it a lot easier to move materials through the shop when you don't have to navigate through an obstacle course of power cords. Also with dedicated circuits the lights don't go out if you happen to trip a breaker.

I always make a longer cord for the machine if needed. Also I always go with the larger wire just to be safe.

Ceiling drops are how I will be running mine as I have easy overhead access. You might consider running conduit from your new panel. It will cost less than your extension cord material and give you a better hard wired semi permanent connection, which you could run overhead, surface mounted too the ceiling above your lathe. As stated above, if your motor is convertible 110/220, it would be to your advantage to go 220V as it will draw considerably less amperage. Mike

No extension cords in my shop. When I first got my used lathe and minimill, I rewired the entire little 12 x 16 ft. shop. All lines are in 3/4" conduit. A A 40A 240V service goes into a sub panel with breakers. 120V lines run through wall mounted conduit with 4x4 boxes on roughly 4 - 6 foot centers with 4 electrical sockets in each around all 4 shop walls. The overhead lighting was left on the original inwall (ceiling) wiring. The 220V lathe is hardwired into the 3 phase inverter then to the lathe. It is sooo nice to be able to just reach over and always have a socket to plug in whatever tool or accessory you are working with. Its complete overkill and I love it. I've fought for the last 60 years of not being able to power up a tool / instrument
without getting out an extension cord, and that has now come to an end, at least in the shop. The 3/4" conduit allows for easy wiring additions for
say a bigger mill. My shop is my electronics, woodworking and now metal working home and I bet that within the next year or so, I will have
used every outlet location.

I will look into making a longer cord, and possibly a drop. 20 amps is what the machine is supposed to be connected to, I'm assuming for max load. I have not seen any information about converting the motor to 220v. Thank you for all of the helpful ideas.

Back