Externally and Internally Threaded Bolt?

chrison600

Registered
Registered
Hi there,

Thank you for the responses regarding the double sided flange. I have another hardware question...

Is there a "bolt" with both external and internal threads? It might look like a typical hex head 3/8 bolt with a 1/4-20 tapped bore all the way through the center axis. It doesn't necessarily have to have a hex head. It could have a flange and then use a integrated allen drive to tighten it.

Just wondering if something like this is available from a hardware catalog...

Thanks,

Chris

Reversible drills typically have a 3/8-24 external thread for mounting the chuck and a l.h.internal thread for a locking screw. There are lead screw nuts, threaded on the outside and having an internal thread for a lead screw.
lead screw nut _01.JPG
I've never seen or heard of a bolt like that. The question would be, "why?".

Thinking back on it, I made a repair on an old Wisconsin engine where I drilled and tapped a 1/2" NPT pipe plug for a 18mm spark plug thread.

The question would be, "why?".

I'm working on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle project. The seat is held on using a threaded fastener that threads into a "nutsert" in the fender. The factory "nutsert" fits loosely into a hole in the fender and is held in place with a plastic C-clip. I've found a company that sells a fastener system as I described in the initial post, but it is long and I'm concerned that the bolt will protrude into the fender wheel cavity such that the tire will contact the bolt as it modulates over road irregularities.

If I can find an "off the shelf" bolt as described and it is available in a very short length (1/2" or shorter) I can build my own similar seat attachment solution.

Chris

I was thinking pipe reducer bushing as well but the thread is pipe thread.

774EC69C-AD21-4A56-A756-759627A992D8.png

Weird, just did a quick search on “reducer bolt” and it appears there are such animals...

FA732299-C74D-4B64-92B0-D473EA87AD77.png

This wouldn't be difficult to make. If you can buy a too long but otherwise suitable bolt, just cut it to length. Toi make one, just buy a bolt and drill and tap for your internal thread. Best done on a lathe but it could be done with a drill press if careful. If you want a 1/4-20 internal thread, you should start with a 3/8 -24 bolt as the minor diameter for a 3/8-16 thread will only give you about .25 .025" wall thickness.
edit: missed a zero in the wall thickness

Last edited:
Nutserts are generally inserted and then drawn up to sandwich the, in this case the fender, between the flange and the crushed tube much like a pop rivet. They would give great service in this application.

Back