Extra wide penn senator reel

Peyton Price 17

Registered
Registered
My brother and I had an old penn senator 4/0 for quite some time, it landed a few smaller sharks but wasn’t big enough for the 10’ or 500# one we are going to try and catch this summer, so we modified it. The old spool was only 2.6” wide and the new one is all of eight. The spool was simple to machine, just cut out and turn down two aluminum side plates, then turn down a shaft and add some steps and flats. After that just epoxy it all together.1DBF6701-EF3A-49E7-AFBD-0AF4FA719867.jpeg
Next was new studs, we weren’t able to find any aluminum that would ship here in under two weeks, so we had to settle for 304 stainless. Each is just over eight inches and is drilled and taped for a 6-32 on each side, or a 8-32 if the tap snapped, two did. Once the four were done it was time to assemble the reel, and all fit well. After some calculations we discovered that it would hold just over a mile of 150# line, which should be long enough and strong enough for some big ones. To hold the line to the spool we drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the spool for a socket head cap screw. The line will be tied around it and then screwed in place.743152AA-AC99-454C-B43E-7BF628351AF8.jpeg
Once that was done we needed a way to secure it to the rod, and not anything will do. Two clamps seems like the best idea, one under the reel and one a foot behind it. The clamp behind it consists of a piece of pipe with a nut inside of it, that the screw passes through. Then two rod will connect from each side of the reel to clamp.
C0785170-B31A-452D-87E7-9DE29242E6E9.jpeg
We are currently working on the main clamp, which will be made of 1/4” stainless sheet that connects both side of the reel to the rod. The line is on the way and a rod still needs to be ordered, the one shown is my musky rod, which is too weak for sharks larger than five feet.

You will need brake discs, and washers to rebuild the drag if you catch a few big ones. I'm a little worried that if the drag is tight enough your line anchor point is a weak spot for the spool to bend, and mess things up. They do have extended 4/0 reels, but not by that much. Very ingenious effort :encourage:

How you gonna level wind that thing? It looks like that much line will bunch and jam it unless it's evenly distributed.

Those reels need to be thumb guided to level the line coming in, which maybe another issue, unless the have long thumbs :)

You will need brake discs, and washers to rebuild the drag if you catch a few big ones. I'm a little worried that if the drag is tight enough your line anchor point is a weak spot for the spool to bend, and mess things up. They do have extended 4/0 reels, but not by that much. Very ingenious effort :encourage:
Most drag is 20 pounds which likely won’t be used, and I do see that being an issue which is why it’s 1/2 steel shaft.

Oh Man, that reel is wide. Like others, looking forward to your report. Just a guess on my part but I bet you are going to need way more drag than 20# of drag. I'm thinking 50 lbs. for a 500 lb. shark.

I'm going to go Google large Shark fishing!

Oh Man, that reel is wide. Like others, looking forward to your report. Just a guess on my part but I bet you are going to need way more drag than 20# of drag. I'm thinking 50 lbs. for a 500 lb. shark.

I'm going to go Google large Shark fishing!
At that much the rod would snap or have to be straight, the hooks would straighten, and if none of that happens then it would rip out of a sharks jaw and injury it.

Yeah, I guess 50 lbs of drag is a lot uh?

How heavy of line do you use for a 500 lb shark? That sounds like a real battle bringing up something like that. I didn't spend much time googling it yesterday.

I watched a tv show a few years ago where a guy caught a big Yellowfin Tuna. It got to the boat and then turned an ran, pulled somthing like 150' of line out (it may not have been that much) before the guy got it stopped.

Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Back