Face Mill advice wanted....

AJ

Registered
Registered
I want to pick up a couple 2-1/2" face mills for my milling machine. I`d like to get a 45deg and 90deg insert style face mills. My question is, Should I buy 2 one piece face mills OR buy 1 arbor and 2 face mill heads(45 and 90deg) ? Any reason not to get the one arbor with a few different face mills for now ? Thanks, AJ

I should say get one arbor and two face mills,and make another arbor,by copying the first and save money or make two arbors. If time is an issue and $ not a problem, get two arbors with the mills. I love making my own tools,so I would make the arbors. That's my two cents.

Michael

Reactions: AJ
I like convenience. So, I would have an arbor dedicated to each tool / cutter - at least in the long run!

Two arbors and two face mills if you plan on using both routinely, otherwise one arbor and two face mills. If you have a one piece face mill, if it gets damaged it is a total toss. Separate arbor gives more flexibility, most of my face mills I picked up over time at about 25% of list, eithe new or slightly used. I have several face mill heads (5) and use two arbors mounted to the two face mills that I use most frequently. Insert wise I have some heads setup for softer metals/materials, others for steel, etc. You can get heads/inserts that can be used on a wide range of materials, but you get better results with material specific inserts/heads.

Setup for softer metals with sharp ground edge inserts
20180122_163407.jpg

Steel/harder metals with molded type inserts
20180122_163605.jpg

If doing heavy work, I'd get integral shank mills, for lighter work, I'd get separate shank cutters and two shanks, its a pain to have to switch them out, time wasted; also, if you get another machine with a different spindle nose you can still use the cutters by purchasing another shank.

I should say get one arbor and two face mills,and make another arbor,by copying the first and save money or make two arbors. If time is an issue and $ not a problem, get two arbors with the mills. I love making my own tools,so I would make the arbors. That's my two cents.

Michael
My thoughts also, thanks

I like convenience. So, I would have an arbor dedicated to each tool / cutter - at least in the long run!
I thought about this way but right now it`s not in the budget..Well, I do have the money but I`d rather spend it on more(different types) tooling. I do think in the future I`ll go this route...Thanks, AJ

Two arbors and two face mills if you plan on using both routinely, otherwise one arbor and two face mills. If you have a one piece face mill, if it gets damaged it is a total toss. Separate arbor gives more flexibility, most of my face mills I picked up over time at about 25% of list, eithe new or slightly used. I have several face mill heads (5) and use two arbors mounted to the two face mills that I use most frequently. Insert wise I have some heads setup for softer metals/materials, others for steel, etc. You can get heads/inserts that can be used on a wide range of materials, but you get better results with material specific inserts/heads.

Setup for softer metals with sharp ground edge inserts
View attachment 279838

Steel/harder metals with molded type inserts
View attachment 279839
I`m thinking I`ll be this for right now also. I do plan on getting a better machine in the future so this will allow then to go either way. Cool, thanks, AJ

If doing heavy work, I'd get integral shank mills, for lighter work, I'd get separate shank cutters and two shanks, its a pain to have to switch them out, time wasted; also, if you get another machine with a different spindle nose you can still use the cutters by purchasing another shank.
This seems to be the way I`m going right now..

Thanks for everyones input. You helped me make the right decision that`s best for me right now..

Back