Face Mills Without The "Chip Blizzard"?

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 2" diameter 45* face mill that uses SEKT/SEHT inserts that I really like, but man that thing makes a massive chip blizzard every time I use it. I'm using it on a Bridgeport 2J 2hp, so nothing crazy. On steel it sends chips at least 10+ feet in every direction. There are times when it's totally worth the cleanup, but I find I avoid using it just because of the mess. I'm wondering if there's a shell mill that uses a different style insert that might not fling chips quite so far? I can usually play around with speeds and feeds to help a bit, but that only helps so much.

I figure even if I can't remove as much metal per pass the total time might be the same if I don't have to spend so much time cleaning afterwards. My shop is multi-use and I clean up after every project so leaving them isn't an option...I hate walking on chips!

Any thoughts?

Can you make some temporary chip shields?

I’ve done a couple of things to help with this issue. Have a look at this post:

With respect to a different style of face mill, the 45-degree versions are the worst in throwing chips. A face mill that cuts a square shoulder using something like an APKT-style insert flings chips less, but still creates some mess - just not as bad. I’m attaching a document that describes the face mills I use and recommend, including the square-corner insert type.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Face Mill Recommendations.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
Can you make some temporary chip shields?
I should have mentioned that...it's something I'm definitely going to try. At the very least that might limit the debris field to a smaller arc!

I’ve got a plexi shield with a mag base. Let me move and postion it where ever its needed.

I mostly use it to keep the mill or lathe from firing chips at me when working. All the other chips are handled by brushes and brooms after the job is done…

I use a 6 mil vinyl curtain attached with magnets to the head. It's cheap, readilly, available and highly adjustable. It rides over any obstacles so adjustment isn't critical. I'm still using the first piece after ten years.

Carbide face mills should always be used such that you are climb milling, not only to increase insert life, but to help control chip throwing. I suspect that are using it in conventional operation, not climb milling, which is spreading the chips worse than should be. When climb milling you always break the chips towards the middle of the part (not off the edge of the part). Ideal set up is with 1/4 to 1/3 of the mill dia out in air and rest burried over the part. You do need to keep minimal drag against the gib with the table locks in order to climb mill successfully.

You did'nt say what size inserts your mill takes, but the 2" diameter is typically over the bigest part of the inserts as they rotate, not the actual diameter you are cutting at the bottom of the 45 degree inserts. So if you have 3/8 IC inserts, your actual cutting dia might be closer to 1.55 dia. With 1/3 the cutting dia off the part, you would be taking about a 1" wide cut. So cutting 1" off first side, then offsetting cutter and going back the other side, the minimum part width would be about 2" for your cutter. Thinner parts should be cut with smaller dia cutters.

As a former tool & die maker I have thousands of hours using face mills in Bridgeports with great results. Amazing how much chip control is gained simply by moving the light in front of the cutting. In my experience face mills with round inserts cut the smoothest; 45 degree is 2nd best. My favorites were the 1 & 2" dia Valenite Mini-Mills with negative rake inserts. Could cut all day taking .100 deep cuts in tool steel without an index. Still easy to find cheap on fleabay.

Only takes a few seconds to take care of the bulk of chips with a broom every 2nd or 3rd cut. I only cleaned up better right before lunch and end of the day.

That's funny, my SEKT face mill was the reason why I made all the chip shields for my mill :)

Face mills are made to remove metal fast , which creates flying chips . Make a few plexiglass shields up . Either mount them on a mag base or attach them directly to your vise to control those chips . Clean up with a shop vac .

Back