Failed Miserable At Cutting A Disc Brake Rotor

"But if you're going that route to escape heat variance, note that this setup requires a pressure relief valve..."

Our test bed used a go kart dyno made by DYNOmite. It did not recirculate water, just hooked up to a hose. It didn't use much. So no change in temperature.

But, it actually measured the torque on the pump with a load cell on the arm that kept the pump body from rotating. So viscosity didn't matter.

http://www.dynomitedynamometer.com/kart-dyno/kart-dyno.htm

You can see the cut away blue arm with the load cell installed on it. That little calculator type device reads rpm and torque and directly shows horsepower. You would run the motor up to max rpm, then start closing the water valve. Stop at whatever rpms you wanted to and take a data point. It would plot it out.

kart_dynomite_brake_and_parts-600.jpg

Cool idea, never thought about using water. Not sure why... seems much better than oil for this purpose.

Most auto rotors are turned both sides at the same time, They also use some sort bof sound deadener such as a rubber band to take the vibration out of the rotor amd most rotors are thicker than what you are turning. Just my two cents.

That disc needs something on it to kill the vibration that causes the chatter. I have used Duct Seal, the stuff that HVAC folks use. The stuff that's kinda like a sticky clay. It absorbs the vibrations amazingly well on a part that has chatter problems. Just stick in on…Dave

Last edited:
as said, that rotor is not cast iron, its steel, likely hardened, did you try and file it to see if it had been hardened?
I tried to salvage a hub from a truck at work, it chattered really bad, I threw it in my furnace for hours, still chattered but it was a little better, I think it was cast steel, or forged, idk, but it had bearing journals.
surface grinding or even a tool post grinder is probably all that will fix that now, unless the slow speed with a backing plate will work, super glue that puppy to an aluminum disc and try to turn it like that

Thanks for the responses everybody.

I'm not concerned about salvaging the rotor. I was wanting to learn why it was giving me such grief.

If I ever need to use the caliper again, I'll just buy a new rotor.

Back