Familiar with Pantograph?

oskar

Registered
Registered
Lots of info on the Internet about Pantographs but there is nowhere to explain how I can find my own ratio. I’m talking about a simple Pantograph which is made with 1”x2” lumber.

I want to use it to engrave with my Dremel some labels on plastic for my little shop and I know which legs on the Pantograph I have to drill my pins but I don’t know the distance.

So if my letter templates are 1/4” high and I want to engrave them having 1/2” high, as an example, how do I find the required pins location on the Pantograph?

I can do it by trial and error but it will be much better if I know the simple maths behind it

I've tried to study the maths involved, and didn't get much traction. Let me know what you find!

My pantograph only does reduction, so I can't look up the ratios for you.

This won't 'exactly' answer your question, but this video might help:

joe Pieczynski's pantograph plans

He has a series on making your own pantograph on the mill. I forgot that if you are using a home made pantograph you can put the stylis/grinder in either location, so I'll look up the .5 reduction on my machine.

Jim is referring to this picture:

link

This won't 'exactly' answer your question, but this video might help:

joe Pieczynski's pantograph plans

He has a series on making your own pantograph on the mill. I forgot that if you are using a home made pantograph you can put the stylis/grinder in either location, so I'll look up the .5 reduction on my machine.

I will study this one, thanks

Your pantograph ratio is the distance stationary mount to stylus as the distance of the stylus to the pencil. It is the hypotenuse of the triangle that determines to ratio. The hypotenuse being the line from the pencil through the stylus to the stationary mount.

Back