Family Heirloom

twhite

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was visiting my parents this afternoon. My dad was in the garage sorting his tool box. He is 86. Anyhow we were talking about the different machine shops we have worked at. Anyhow he jumped up and said he had something for me.

It was his dads Audels Machinists handy book from 1942. I am 3rd generation machinist. I have a few of their tools. This one struck a chord for me. It will be my prized possession.
cf4364205dc9bfe1ab7cd689dcf8425e.jpg

c0a002c248c2ae8a91407645c9704654.jpg

0e10628a100de6be216383ad97685ac5.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Passed-down tools and related items are prized and (as those across the Atlantic say) given pride of place, even more so when the individual has passed away. After he retired, my Father was re-acquainted with decoy maker (not an artist: he made working decoys) and became interested in carving. When he passed, my Mother gave me his tools (which now reside in a Gerstner walnut chest) and his collection of carving & wild bird books: I use the tools (carefully) when needed, and although I don’t access the books, they will remain in my library until I’m gone.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Passed-down tools and related items are prized and (as those across the Atlantic say) given pride of place, even more so when the individual has passed away. After he retired, my Father was re-acquainted with decoy maker (not an artist: he made working decoys) and became interested in carving. When he passed, my Mother gave me his tools (which now reside in a Gerstner walnut chest) and his collection of carving & wild bird books: I use the tools (carefully) when needed, and although I don’t access the books, they will remain in my library until I’m gone.

For me it is these small things that may seem insignificant to most, that are my most treasured. Just knowing my grandfather and my dad both used this and the tools daily to make a living. Now I get to do the same. The tools I use at work still. The book will stay in the house safe and sound. It will be a great read at night.

Cutting oil is my blood.

That is cool. I have my grandfather's "Shop Theory" book of the Henry Ford trade school. Unfortunately, he died when I was 11 years old, so I did not really get to meet the man.

Awesome. Yes my Grandfather died when I was 4. So I have no memories of him. I am fortunate that both my parents are still here.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I passed all my older books to someone on here years back . I do have a 1914 machinists hand book ( 2nd edition ) that was my uncle's fathers . A 1916 chest and 37 Gerstner still reside in the basement . No machinists in the works after me .

Back