FAQ's on Band Saw and Mill/Drill

NICOLAS LIN

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hi Guys,

Can someone help to provide at least 30-50 Frequent asked questions, when the user wants to buy a band saw. Also, for Mill/Drill as well. We will really appreciate that.

Thanks

Rong Fu Ind.

Hi Nicolas - welcome to HM!

I suspect a horizontal/vertical bandsaw is one of the most used tools in a hobby shop so there's a good chance we can help but perhaps you can give us more info on what you're after. You just want some FAQ's or are you after what a potential customer is looking for in terms of features and specs?

Same with the mill/drill - what are you after, specifically?

Well, basically we would like to get to know more of the RF machine consumers. Listen to their comments after using the product. We do not sell direct to end users , but distributirs or dealers. FAQ collection is for our auto answering computer system. So we need as many as possible.

Okay, I don't own one of your band saws and would be of no help. I do own an older RF-31 but that has no bearing on your more modern machines. I hope someone else chimes in.

I have an RF-30 knock off from Central machinery and would like to know if part exchange is compatible or not
such as lead screws and nuts being that parts for Central machinery can't be found, at least by me anyway ...

Last edited:
I have an RF-30 knock off from Central machinery and would like to know if part exchange is compatible or not
such as lead screws and nuts being that parts for Central machinery can't be found, at least by me anyway ...
I believe the Central RF30 even though made in China has parts made to the same specs. Grizzly still carry the equivalent RF30 and I've bough parts from them like lead screw nuts and they have worked just fine on my early RF30 that was sold by Enco.

I've had a RF 118 bandsaw ( bought through Harbor Freight) since 1980 and except for the guide bearings and an occasional saw blade have done nothing to it. It is recognized by the hobby community as a workhorse and I see it on local Craigslists for about what you can buy them new from Harbor Freight. The saw has many mod's catalogued here on the Hobby Machinists site. For me it was one of the first machine tools I bought in prep to start doing metal work.

I also have a RF30 sold by Enco made in 1988. I bought it used and it looks like it's been through several owners. I've only had to replace one lead screw nut even though it was roughly used and barely maintained. Many of us here have these mill/drills and even though they are not highly regarded by some mine serves its purpose well for what I do. I knew I needed something bigger than small benchtop mills but didn't want to deal with the size and weight of a Bridgeport class of mill.

The RF30 was cheap to buy and cheap to maintain. In recent years for some unknown reason it seems to have appreciated in price to over what Harbor Freight wants for one new. Even with all its drawbacks it's still being sold by several importers.

I believe the Central RF30 even though made in China has parts made to the same specs.

My Central RF30 was made in 1997, and according to the markings at least the data plates were made in Taiwan. It's a good light duty machine if you treat it right.

Okay, I don't own one of your band saws and would be of no help. I do own an older RF-31 but that has no bearing on your more modern machines. I hope someone else chimes in.
How old is your RF-31 ? Is it working well ?

I am not sure if the Central's made by RONG FU, as there are too many imitation from China. At least Central has not carried RF-30 for long long years.

Back