Fasteners : Screws Vs Taper Pins Vs Dowels

The 910 formulation is still available from Permabond. Superglue is a pale imitation of it.

Thanks, I didn't know 910 was still available. I had one professor glue his finger tips together with it. He ended up in the ER to have his fingers cut apart.

And yes Superglue can't compare to 910 and other quality glues.

Last edited:
If you use pull pins be sure to use either the ones what have a spiral groove cut in them or grind a small flat along the length of the pin to break the seal. I had a few installed in a die section and I turned around to find one had popped up about 1/4" above the surface.

Thanks, I didn't know 910 was still available. I had one professor glue his finger tips together with it. He ended up in the ER to have his fingers cut apart.

And yes Superglue can't not compare to 910 and other quality glues.
Acetone will (slowly) soften cyanoacrylate.

Many thanks for the responses.

Will do some practicing on my next project with taper pins, dowels and screws.

Bill

No more about glue, now I'm stuck! :)

Last edited:
I also am a Tool and Diemaker, straight dowels are as he stated, for precise die work to ensure absolutely NO lateral movement. On the personal side, I see taper pins in outboard power head crankcase halves, and they must be slid together for alignment,so you have the taper to allow it to slide together so when the 2 halves meet the pin gives final proper alignment. I would guess they, the taper pins, are probably used alot on case halves.

We often see taper pins used to lock taper bushings, gears and cams on their shafts in the packaging industry. We use taper pins to prevent reversed installation of critical components that must be synchronized. It helps make things somewhat fool proof because you cant just insert the pin its full lenght if the tapered holes are reversed.

Great questions!

I glanced at an article the other day about gluing car frames together, I haven't read through it yet. I guess it's in the experimental stages.

I had a Suzuki motorcycle that had a rear wheel swing arm that was made in three parts, an aluminum casting and two aluminum weldments glued and screwed together and seemed to work well, it was manufactured in 1991.

Several years ago I made pipe flange molds that would form the grooves on the sealing surface of damaged flanges used in steam applications, in place.
The epoxy was placed on the damaged face then the mold, with a release agent was bolted to it thus forming the ASTM designated grooved surface required.
Also made molds for repairing damaged bearing journal surfaces on shafts for the same Company, they claimed that 1 of their epoxy products for this application was un-machinable with single point tools and should only be ground.

I have no affiliation with this Company and haven't done any work for them in several years, if one wants to look into some advanced epoxy products they are called Belzona, an Italian Company

Back