Fastest Cheapest Way To Remove Gunk

SE18

Active User
Registered
I've got some roller bearing axles with caked on grease -- a lot of them. In the past I've used a brass wire brush and kerosene (on cleaning my SB9A lathe) but these axles seem really thick and stubborn.

My neighbor said to get a steam cleaner; another person said Purple Power. I'm at a loss what to do. A steam cleaner is a big investment which I'd be willing to do unless there's a cheaper easy way.

Thanks

Everything you've heard works. I've tried most methods. When you add in cost as a driving factor kero works great. Especially if you can let it soak for days, brass brush, soak and repeat at your leisure. Adding time in its not as fast as a power washer.

I love the long soak and then use a citrus degreaser over say the purple power. Smells better and for me it works no better or worse. Good luck

Which did you want? fastest or cheapest?

cheapest, can't beat a soak in kerosene and a brush.

OK, Ralph, I didn't let it soak in kerosene more than a few minutes so I'll set it in kerosene for a day or two and try it that way. Thanks. I'll also look for citris degreaser

I've got some roller bearing axles with caked on grease -- a lot of them. In the past I've used a brass wire brush and kerosene (on cleaning my SB9A lathe) but these axles seem really thick and stubborn.

My neighbor said to get a steam cleaner; another person said Purple Power. I'm at a loss what to do. A steam cleaner is a big investment which I'd be willing to do unless there's a cheaper easy way.

Thanks
Rather than buying a steam cleaner you might be able to rent one.

Steve Shannon, L3CC

Handheld, kettle-size steam cleaners are not expensive and can do wonders. Steam really is an incredible solvent, but you have to balance that with corrosion concerns.

For speed there's nothing like a large parts washing cabinet like a Cuda or Hotsy. In a shop where I worked (the one I referenced when I started the Bozos thread) there were guys sitting on upside-down buckets working out of other buckets cleaning parts with paint thinner after fabrication and before painting or powder coating. Unbelievably labor intensive (not to mention the consumables and health & safety concerns) for a $2M/year growing operation. The owner resisted me for a long time on getting the Cuda, but when I talked to a salesman from a local washing equipment supply place and he said he would bring me one for us to try FOR FREE, I jumped on it. After one week of seeing how many parts could go through there, using 99% water, a tiny bit of detergent, an anti-corrosion additive, and occasionally a little PH correction from a bottle, the owner dropped $10K on his own.

For the home shop that obviously doesn't make sense. Most of us don't have the 3-phase power for it anyway. But that doesn't mean there aren't lessons to be learned. The steaming water was the cleaner, with a little surfactant/emulsifier help and an oil skimmer to keep the solution clean. If this is the sort of thing you expect to do many times in the future a steam option may be very good. Otherwise get some kerosene or purple power (that stuff is NUTS) and knock this out without overthinking it like I always do. :)

heat? If it's really grease then that should help. A blow dryer if you have patience; a blow torch if not.

Back