Fat Tire BMX build, planning phase...

Pitchfire

Active User
Registered
Thought that this forum needed a post and since I have been planning this for some time, I thought it worthy enough. I am planning on building a fat tire bmx bike for my kids. There are lots of fat tire mt. bikes hitting the markets now namely Pugsley's and Mukluks, but I haven't seen anything for smaller kids bmx style aside from the chopper bikes that aren't even good for riding. We have plenty of muskeg/peat bog here, and those areas are the only areas that aren't heavily treed, so naturally look all too promising to ride. But riding when the water table is at the surface and the ground is like a wet sponge is much much easier said than done. So for my first attempt I plan on taking an old frame and widening the forks to clear the much wider tires and maybe make a new lower gearing as well. We'll see how it goes. It will probably be a winter project. Still getting to moving and setting up shop.

I like the conceplt a lot too but stop findding wider hubs and the botton bearing. Where are you planning to find that?

Nice bikes!

I can find 3" tires:
http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Flame-W...F8&qid=1341684690&sr=1-3&keywords=kenda+flame

I thought of dirt bike tires, but did not think of moped tires. Just so the mass isn't overboard. As to the bearings yeah, that's already out their with the fat tire mt. bikes. The rims are out there too with the chopper bikes, or you can do what the first fat tire mt. bikes did and weld a couple of rims together, but then you will probably run multiple tires.

I want to try to keep it light so my kids can take advantage of their low weight and hopefully float pretty well, guess we'll see. Probably gear it down a bit too and maybe shorten the crank arms.

Back